**This giveaway is now closed**
Ahhhh, cupcakes. How do we love them? Let me count the posts.
- 4th of July Cupcake Gifts
- Smores Cupcakes
- Red Velvet and Cream Cheese Cupcakes
- Inauguration Cupcakes
- Halloween Cupcakes
- Bakerella’s Bikini Bear Cupcakes
Last week a few of the Chicks had a fabulous opportunity to attend a cupcake class along with several other Utah bloggers (Marcel Walker, Camille from Make It Work Mom, Allison of Petit Elefant, Melissa of ISLY to name a few) hosted by Utah Mama and the Emporium at Thanksgiving Point. Now, I have made hundreds of cupcakes in my life, especially since it’s practically part of the job description of motherhood. But I was eager to learn some tricks of the trade from a professional pastry chef! And this cupcake class did NOT disappoint!
Chef Sara Voortmeyer shared her very own recipes, great baking tips and hilarious stories as she whipped up FIVE different flavors of cupcakes and delectable frostings! Talk about multi-tasking! She was fabulous and surely knows her stuff–at one time Sara was the head pastry chef at Tuscany and now is a private caterer in addition to teaching a variety of classes. We learned how to make Oreo Cupcakes, Citrus Cupcakes, Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes (ohmygoodness), Mocha Latte Cupcakes, and Coconut Cupcakes—how to make them taste delicious AND look chic at the same time!
Here are the Citrus Cupcakes, made with zest from fresh lemons and limes:
Before frosting (above) and now here they are after Sara made them super chic. They tasted so light and fresh, perfect for summer parties!
Here are a few little practical tips Sara shared:
- all ingredients for cakes and cookies should be at room temp (like eggs and butter)
- all ingredients for pastries and things with crusts should be ice cold (this will help create flaky crusts that you want)
- Scoop flour into measuring cup with a spoon to keep it light and fluffy
- Mexican vanilla is yummy
- use a pastry bag to fill cupcake liners as well as to add pretty frosting (use a pastry tip to make the fancy frosting)
- to cream and fluff ingredients, use the whisk on your mixer
- for cake, cheesecake and cookies, use the paddle on your mixer
- how to use real vanilla beans
- put an “indicator” on top of the frosting to give people a little clue as to the flavor of the cupcake (such as the mini Oreos as shown in the photo at the top of this post)
- Sara’s favorite kitchen gadget (besides her beloved Kitchenaid) is her microplane for zesting!
One of my favorite recipes was the Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcake. Oh mama mia. I basically shoved it into my mouth, much like the way I tell my kids NOT to eat their food. We’ll be sharing this recipe soon, so stay tuned for that! But here’s a little teaser. . . .
We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, and now we want one of YOU to enjoy a class too! The Thanksgiving Point Emporium has graciously offered a complimentary cooking class to one of our readers!
The winner receives one free cooking session of their choice from the great variety of classes available here at the Emporium at Thanksgiving Point in Lehi, Utah. Maybe if you choose wisely, you’ll get to take a class from the talented SaraVoortmeyer, but I’m sure all of the classes are amazing!
To enter this giveaway leave a comment on this post (make sure you include your email so we can contact you if you win). You must enter by midnight on Friday July 30, 2010 to be eligible. All entries after the deadline will not be considered for this giveaway. *Note: These classes are offered locally in Lehi, Utah, so you need to be able to travel here if you are the winner!
For extra entries if you are interested, you can also leave a separate comment for each and tell us if you:
- Become a follower or subscriber of The Crafting Chicks
- “Like” The Crafting Chicks on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/craftingchicks)
- Follow us on Twitter (@craftingchicks)
- Add our button to your blog (see sidebar)
- “Like” Thanksgiving Point on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/ThanksgivingPoint)
- Subscribe to the “Today’s Mama” newsletter (http://www.todaysmama.com)
The winner will be announced on Saturday, July 31, 2010. And then they will have to invite us all over to show off their awesome new cooking skills. Just kidding (sort of). GOOD LUCK!!!
3003 N. Thanksgiving Way
Lehi, UT 84043