18″ Doll Clothes by Kirsten’s Mom (my Mother Hen)

I am so pleased to introduce MY MOM…..the CREATIVE GENIUS.  This is her official debut on Crafting Chicks and it’s about time ;). I grew up watching her sew ALL MY CLOTHES, yes even down to the underwear.  I can fully admit that I didn’t appreciate the darling outfits she made for me, but like all girls that grow up, we realize how amazing our mothers are as we grow ourselves and realize that our mothers are full-out warrior ROCK STARS.  She is one of the most humble people I know, always thinks of others, and is the official “KID WHISPERER”.  As for her crafty side, WATCH OUT PEOPLE.  She is always making something amazing.  She is always coming up with the most creative solutions, she is DA BOMB.  Pardon my sweet reminiscings, I swear I can’t help it when I am talking about people I adore so just look at the pics if you don’t want to read all sorts of great sappy crapola.

This is my Q and my mama….two beauties.

So my mom’s oldest granddaughter, Carli just turned 6!  So when these patterns went on sale from $15 to $.99, then she scooped up a whole slew of them….and I mean ALL of the patterns for the 18″ dolls.  SMART.  Jo-Annes As we all know, the American Girl clothes are P.R.I.C.E.Y…..like $25+ dollars.  She couldn’t wait to get her hands on these cute patterns for Carli’s Our Generation doll (she got for a fraction of the price from Target).  P.S.  These patterns are on sale right now, not for $.99 at Jo-Ann’s, but for 40% off.

She used a variation of these patterns to make these beauties.  We had so much fun yesterday with this doll photoshoot….I WAS DYING when she showed me these yesterday for the first time.  The 2-Peice BALL GOWN….with 2 layers of shimmery tulle and a satin bottom layer with hand-sewn sequins on the top layer and top.

THE SPRING OUTFIT:  White t-shirt with a 2-layer skirt and matching vest with ric rac and ribbon embellishments.  I would SOOOO stink as a home shopping network hostess….so bare with me.

When is everything so darn cute, when it’s miniature?

SUMMER OUTFIT:  Summery fitted camisole and matching capris embellished with bright orange, grosgrain ribbon and bows.

MOM:  “Instead of snaps on all the clothes, I used velcro so Carli could take them on and off a little more easily.”

Let’s not forget the do rag….so fun.

SUNDAY DRESS:  floral-patterned long dress with flower embellishment and purple trim.

BALLERINA OUTFIT:  I la la la LOVE this leotard and tu tu.  Are you kidding me MOM?  I love the hand-sewn sequins and silver trim and the 3-tiered tu tu with a layer of turquoise shimmery fabric mixed in with the white tulle.

ME:  “I wish I had her knees….who says that?”

FALL OUTFIT:  embroidered pants with matching fleece zip-up hoodie.  A Bedazzler would have really come in handy on this one….not that I’m really into Bedazzled jeans, because I’m actually not, but how cute would that be to pimp out some little doll jeans with the big stitching and the rhinestones….SAWEET.  The colored embroidered stitching is a darling alternative.

KNITTED WOOL SWEATER & PLEATED SKIRT COMBO….ME:  “Mom, what the freakin’ crap is this????  WHAT???  ARE YOU KIDDING ME???  You knitted her a WOOL sweater???”  I couldn’t get over this one.  She knits all the awesome stripped socks with this amazing wool yarn and had some leftovers…..”ok let’s just knit her a sweater!”

And the pleated skirt is to DIE for.  ME:  “MOM, SO CUTE.  HEY MOM, CAN I KEEP THESE FOR Q?”  MOM:  “NO.”  ME:  “I’m going to have to find a way to break into Berk & Jen’s house and steal them then….like the old lady on “Tangled”, except I won’t steal Carli or the doll.”

This is my favorite.  I still can’t get over the wool sweater.

That’s that my friends…..

INTERVIEW:

ME:  “Where and when did you learn to sew?”

MOM:  “Junior High….then high school and collage.”

ME:  “Which sewing classes did you take in college?”

MOM:  “Flat pattern design…it was one of the hardest classes I have ever taken.  Now I know how to adjust patterns and such.”

ME:  “What is the most extensive sewing project you have done?”

MOM:  “A fully tailored suit, coats, and about 12-13 jackets.  I sew a lot of my own clothes.”

ME:  “How has sewing changed through the ages as far as price and ease?”

MOM:  “It’s expensive to sew now.  It used to be so much cheaper and more economical to sew your own clothes.”

ME:  “Now onto the outfits…..which outfit was the easiest to make?”

MOM:  “The skirts were easy….the pleated skirt or maybe the pants.   I could make a pair of the doll pants in about 15 minutes.”

ME:  “Which outfit was the hardest?”

MOM:  “Knitting the sweater….it took me about 3 or 4 hours.  I had to adjust the pattern (there was a pattern for a knitted sweater) because the thread I used was smaller and my knitting needles were smaller.  So I had to add stitches here and there, there’s a way to do it.  You have to figure out how many stitched per inch, compared to how many there are with the bigger needles.”

ME:  “Mom you’re officially nuts.”

MOM:  “I know, it took me awhile to figure it out, but it worked out.”

ME:  “Was it easier or harder than you thought?”

MOM:  “It was easier because the doll patterns have a WHOLE lot of shortcuts that you just don’t do with adult clothes.  They are smaller and easier to work with….a seam on a skirt is 4 inches…so quick.  You could make a skirt in about 20 minutes.”

ME:  “For our readers out there that have not sewn before, could they make these?”

MOM:  “Yea, they can, but they would have to follow the pattern very carefully and do everything it says to do.  I have a serger that helps finish off the seams quickly.”

ME:  “Is it hard to follow a pattern?  Do they have step by step instructions?”

MOM:  “YES.  I have a magnetic board behind my machine with all the directions pinned up so I can read them as I go.  When you learn to sew, they teach you how to read patterns, it’s like a recipe.  You just follow the instructions.  Then after you learn that, you can learn little tricks to make it look even better.  If you take classes, they teach you these tricks.”

ME:  “So where would you recommend a beginner start?”

MOM:  “Find a class in your area or find someone that sews and can show you how to start, it’s really not hard ;).  Doll clothes are a great starting point to learn how to sew.”

ME:  “Ok so in closing, how do you feel about your debut on Crafting Chicks (he he he he)?”

MOM:  “Kirsten you are a nerd.  It’s fun to make doll clothes. :).”

ME:  “LOVE YOU MOM!!!  You make me want to try out doll clothes making….when Q gets a bit older.  But I am NOT knitting, I’ll tell you that right now.”

Ok all you crafty gals out there, have you made clothes for your dolls or barbies?  We would love to see them.  Also, leave a cute comment for my mama, she asked me a bit shyly if she would be able to see the comments from this post……oh mom….so if you feel so inclined, let her know what you think.  She will SOOOO love to read them :).

HAPPY SEWING!

xoxo,

KIRSTEN

Comments

1. SammyD says

Awesome job Kirsten’s Mom!!! I love all the little outfits, you picked some great patterned material and colour combos. I love sewing doll and baby clothes too, they are so quick and easy to whip up :)

2. Blue Jeuls says

Kirst, we need to have her give us a girls sewing night tutorial sometime! She’s amazing. These outfits are beyond. ♥

3. debi says

This was great, i use to make doll clothes when my girl were little. I even made a diaper bag for my daughters bitty baby. I only have a grandson so far but i am looking forward to someday having a granddaughter so i can make doll clothes again. Thanks forthe inspiration, everything you made was absolutely beautiful.

4. Amelia says

Love this! Your mom sounds amazing and she has such a gift and talent! She should go on Etsy! I’d buy some of her things for my girls, as I am inept at sewing.

5. Brooke says

WOW! That is seriously amazing. This is why I should have had all boys – my poor girls will never have anything HALF this cool! Tell your mom she is amazingly talented!
    ps: This is Brooke – Brookie Wookie’s friend from the retreat in Idaho – I met you there that one time :)

6. Leigh Anne says

Ummmm…..can I have your mom as my mom for a while? Knitting a little mini sweater for granddaughter’s doll…..that’s AMAZING! I can only dream of having her skillz some day :) Those doll clothes are FANTASTIC! Thanks so much for sharing….and tell your mom to come back anytime for some more sewing fun :)

7. Jerri says

Love the doll clothes, your talents are amazing! Carli is so lucky to have you as her Grandma, creating wonderful memories for her!

8. Melinda ke says

Wow, I wish I could sew like that! I made some pajama pants with a sewing for dummies pattern…one of my drawstring holes ended up on the back side. Yeah, I need some serious practice!

LOVE these clothes! I just recently bought my 8yr old her first 18″ doll. (not AG! – even on ebay they’re still too expensive) Anyhow, the mom of a friend of mine had a stash of patterns she’s letting me use. For some reason that project keeps getting put on a back burner, but these are inspiring me to sit down and get some done!

I learned to sew from my mom, too who made lots of our clothes growing up. I started with clothes for my Barbies!

10. Maren says

I love the doll clothes!!! Excellent job! I have my Magic Attic Club doll, and all the clothes I made for her in high school. That’s how I really learned to sew. My doll clothes, however, have no cute embellishments. Or knitted wool sweaters. Maybe that’s how I’ll learn to knit something other than a scarf! Well done!

11. denise says

Thanks so much for sharing! I’m inspired to sew doll clothes now. Been teaching sewing for years but never thought to teach this……THANK YOU! You are amazingly talented!

12. JanJones says

Wow Diane!!! You are so amazing! Just to think you’re right across the street and making these darling things for your granddaughter makes me feel like the worst grandma!!! What a treasure those doll clothes will always be.
    You’re definately inspiring me….thanks!

13. Jen in Oz says

The clothes are darling! Diane you are wonder woman!!! So fun to be sitting here in Australia reading about my fun and talented neighbour that I grew up across the street from!!! I am trying to learn to knit…but not having much luck…okay patience! :) Hope you are well! Keep sewing – you’ve got several more grand daughters to go! Hugs from Oz!!!

14. Jenilee says

You are an inspiration! I have the same patterns and extra fabric sitting upstairs right now waiting to be sewn together. After seeing what you have done and am so excited to get working on it. I made Barbie clothes a couple of years ago. So fun!

15. maiya says

I have been making doll clothes for over a year for 2 reasons. First I am too cheap to buy the over priced dolls at Target or Walmart, so I hit Jo-Ann’s up on Mondays for their remants and can get many outfits for under 2 dollars. Secondly I have a special needs child with CP that needed help with snaps and buttons. She was able to master the snaps and buttons and keep her dolls in fashionable clothes.

16. Rosemary Decker says

Fantastic!! I love the doll clothes. A friend and I used to make lots of doll clothes to sell. Alas , she had to rest her needle and thread and go back to her job . I learned to sew making doll clothes. I sewed my first dress before I started school. It was a doll dress but it was my greatest accomplishment. Of course the sewing machine was unplugged. I had to turn the “crank” by hand. My best friend was a little older but we both had a passion for designing doll clothes so it worked really well for us to take turns Cranking for each other. Oh, and our doll dresses were very well decorated with toilet paper lace. Yes, we made our own lace out of toilet paper. we gathered it sometimes and we even cut minute holes in it to make lace. Although, it didn’t hold up very well with the washings it got. Keep making doll clothes, it makes a nicer world!!! P.S. I sure would like the pattern for the hand knitted sweater!!

17. Colleen says

Awesome, those clothes are so cute. Beautiful work Kirsten’s Mom.
    I make doll clothes for my granddaughter’s BFC Ink dolls. The clothes are smaller then American Girl or Our Generation dolls. It’s easy to make the American Girl doll clothes smaller. Only thing with doll clothes patterns they look like doll clothes to me, so I started using patterns sized to fit me to make clothes for these dolls. I enjoy making these into doll clothes. I recycle unwanted clothes for the fabric. If you would like to see some of the clothes I have made here is the link . i also have pictures of the patterns I have used for some of them.