I am so excited that one of my best friends, Kristin, is sharing a fun project with you all today. She is one clever lady and a genius when it comes to creativity. I know you all are going to be running to your local thrift store after you read this.
|I’m so excited to FINALLY be sharing a project with the Crafting Chicks readers. Truth be told…I was once or twice or maybe seven times invited to be a “Crafting Chick” (Long before they became “THE” Crafting chicks). Out of pure laziness I never made a single post. I just couldn’t find the motivation to actually write about any of my projects once they were finished. I also never think to take pictures along the way, so this project took a serious conscious effort!
It’s selfish of me really…I sure enjoy reading a plethora of crafty blogs and ideas. I guess this is me giving back to the crafting society. I hope you enjoy!My idea for this project came from an image that I found on Pinterest. I fell in love with the color and uniqueness of this bowl.
I decided to hit my local thrift store (Deseret Industries) to see what I could find. It took me a couple of weeks of popping in and out to acquire what I did but I ended up with lots of options.
The first thing I looked for was wooden candlesticks. I found plenty that were every shape and size. They ranged in price from about .75 cents to $1.50.
The next item on my list to find was wooden bowls. On my first couple of visits I came up empty handed then on one visit hit the jackpot and scored 4 bowls! The bowls were $2-$3.
I did find a couple of workable wood bases at the thrift store but had better luck finding these at Hobby Lobby. They were only about $1.00 a piece.
I took a little time to clean up the bowls with a piece of steel wool. I did use a piece of sand paper on a few pieces that needed it.
After mix and matching with several different design options I chose what pieces I thought looked the best together and glued them together with Gorilla glue. I also filled a couple little things here and there with wood filler, but for the most part they were left as is.
The next step was to prime the bowls. I just used a basic white spray primer. I did a good 2 coats on that and let that dry completely.
As I mentioned earlier I was loving the turquoise color of the original bowl I saw so I chose a couple of different shades of that and I’m quite adoring mustard recently. After trying several colors by both Krylon and Valspar I was super happy with the color results. I put several coats on each piece in quick succession and then let them dry thoroughly.
Now we are ready to glaze! I think this step scares a lot of people but rest assured…it’s easy peasy. The glaze I used is made by Valspar that I purchased from Lowes. It is water based which I love working with. I apply my glaze by painting it on with an inexpensive sponge brush. You’ll be scared smearing that DARK stuff over your recently painted masterpiece, but don’t be! After covering your entire piece grab a clean lint free cloth and begin wiping away. I like leaving lots in the cracks and crevices. But you can experiment with how much you leave on or take off. If you are using the water based glaze and you are not liking how it is turning out get a damp rag and wipe it off and start again. This stuff is workable for at least 10 minutes especially if the surface you are using isn’t porous.
After the glaze was completely dry I used a satin clear spray to seal it.
Now here is the finished product!
I LOVE how they all turned out! Such fun shapes, colors, and sizes! Thanks so much for letting me share! I hope you all have fun creating some of your own!