Your Creative Lens on Life

For the last few years I’ve given each of my kids a photobook full of memories from the past year for Christmas. These are always the prized gifts and the ones that continue to be used throughout the year! The Hot Wheel racetrack is forgotten as they sit thumbing through the pages Christmas morning, looking and laughing at the pictures. Seriously, they can spend hours looking at photos of themselves! So when Snapfish invited us to participate in their “Your Creative Lens on Life” holiday campaign we were so excited to be a part of it!

Photobooks are perfect for picture snapping, digiscrapping moms like ourselves.  We’re no strangers to making our own books, but rarely do we upload everything and have it printed and bound in a hard bound book. But wouldn’t the little color book Brooke made be such a cute keepsake made into a photo book? And her collection of happiness mini albums too!  Can you think of some other fun twists we could take on a book?

This campaign is a contest between 10 bloggers–well really between the bloggers and our readers, because you guys get to help us come up with different unique and creative things to do with a photo book. We will soon be creating a custom photobook (courtesy of Snapfish), along with the other participating bloggers. Then Snapfish will judge all 10 of the books once they are made. And get this, if our photobook is chosen by Snapfish as the most creative photobook, then everyone* who comments on this post wins too! That’s right, just leave a comment here with your creative photobook idea and when if we win you’ll win a $100 credit from Snapfish too! Be sure your email address is included in the comment so we can get you the prize if we’re selected!

*Winners are limited to the first 100 comments–so be sure you’re one of the first!

This is the first post in a series of 2 sponsored by Snapfish.

Comments

1. Emily says

I think it would be so fun to make a book about the seasons, use pictures from your family to illustrate all the different traditions you have and keep each season. I think younger kids would get a kick out of looking through it.

2. Tabitha says

My kids also love looking at pictures of themselves! I’d love to male a “Who loves… ?” book for my daughter since her older brothers have them. Every page has pictures of them with someone in our family and it says “Grandma loves (name)” etc. Its a great way to help.my kids remember their relatives that they may not see very often.

3. Rebecca Webb says

To add to Tabitha’s comment above – I have wanted to make a Who loves book for my 2.5 yr old boy. I thought it would be cute to do one page with photos of just him from throughout the year with a caption that says “Who, Who Loves You?” Then the next page have a photo of him with a member of the family and a caption that says, “Grandma does. Grandma loves you” and then continue that throughout the book. That way I get to have photos of my son done from the year but I also get all the photos of family members that he loves and that loves him!

4. Chalet says

I made a book of a trip we took to Disneyland. We took over 250 pictures in one week and a photo book is a perfect way to relive that family vacation! My daughter loves looking through it!!!

5. Leisha Hemphill says

It is so hard to choose between during a book for my son’s first yr and one for my mil. We go camping every memorial day and labor day. My husband has been done this his entire life and Now that we have a son we are doing the same things.

6. Kristin W. says

I would love to put all of our pictures from our vacation to Europe into a photo book! I took so many great pictures and a photo book is the perfect way to organize, display, and share them all!

7. waldessa says

It would be fun to make a photo book of each of my children creating a story: like a dressup play, a stick puppet show, or building something with paper or legos. I can type up their story and they can glue it to the picture pages and each would have an original story.

8. Becca H says

I love “a year of” ideas.

A year of birthdays
    A year of any holidays
    A year of seasons (I take pictures of my kids every season dressed in appropriate attire for whatever seasn it is and send them to grandparents)
    A year of months (kind of like the season idea)
    A year of vacations

Just some thoughts….
    beccamhill@gmail.com

9. gina says

How about “A story of us” Start with pics from when you were dating your spouse – then throw in some wedding and honeymoon pics – finding out you were expecting – pics of the kids – any homes you lived in, traditions, etc ! Heck I think I may have to use my own idea and make a book =)

10. Monica Sandberg says

Love snapfish. I adore the photobooks. Need to make one from our adventures in Yosemite this last summer. Good luck Crafting Chicks!

11. Karen says

I made a photo book in 07 when my husband and I got married from our honeymoon trip. I would love to make photo books for my son and daughter and grandkids! – Karen

12. Kristen says

I cherish every photo book I make and give. Such an amazing way to keep memories alive.
    I love Snapfish, too, with all they have to offer. They do make it easy to get creative. I love the idea of a book with “year of” ideas in it. So so sweet! Way to go Crafting Chicks. Love all you do!

13. Nicole Duncan says

One idea i had is a book for my sons teacher. Book of everyone in the Kindergarten class.

My kids love looking at pictures of themselves, so a year of 2011 book would be cool too.

14. stephanie w says

My son was born a few days before Christmas. That year, my dad said the only present he wanted was a picture of his grandson every day for the next year. At first I thought he was crazy, but I’m so glad we did it. After my son’s first birthday, I took all of my favorite photos from the year and made a book for us, and all of his grand and great-grandparents. I’m planning on doing the same thing for our next baby.

15. Leticia Dias says

I’ve always wanted to make a picture book of family members to help toddlers identify their mother, father, etc. Photobooks are a great gift to people of all ages.

16. Tara Larsen says

How fun! I’ve been working on getting all of my recipes typed up on a cute background I created. It would be so fun to have them printed in a book. It would make such a great gift not only for my children someday, but also extended family who are constantly asking for my recipes. Good luck!!!

17. Alea says

This year we did some fun events for Fall and Halloween, so I compiled them in a Snapfish photo book. They had a cute Halloween theme with neat “embellishments” that fit every activity we did: the pumpkin patch, carving pumpkins, costume parade, etc. My daughter LOVES going through it and it’s a nice way to remember a season.

18. Chrissy says

I love Brooke’s color book too. I think having an alphabet book would be fun too. Where there was a page for every letter of the alphabet and then you put in a picture highlighting something that the kids did or wore, etc. using that letter. I hope this makes sense.

19. erin coombs says

I want to make a book of each year with all the family pictures, but also have written the memories we made, funny things that happened and goals for the next year!! I also like the idea of a personal book each year for each kid with all their milestones and memories! Good luck!!!

20. Selena Church says

I did a small book for my mother-in-law that had all her children’s baby pictures followed by their favorite childhood recipes. The end of the book had a few pictures of all four children together. I had a lot of fun putting it together and she loved to see what all the kids picked for their favorite recipes. Good luck!

21. Tiffany says

I once made an alphabet book where each page was a letter representing a quality of that child or one of their interests or talents. It was very cute.
    Tiffdeon at yahoo dot com

22. charissa says

baby’s first milestone photo book. instead of those books that you write down when everything was done or a calender you fill in. i would do a photo book with the details written on the bottom. which is great because you can take a picture of the mementos and put them in the photo book instead of saving them in boxes and books.

23. Allison says

I think it would be great to merge a photobook with a traditional storybook/educational book. Assign each page a letter of the alphabet, and on each page, feature a picture of your kid(s) with something/doing something that begins with that letter. Or make up a creative make-believe story that corresponds with chosen pictures.

Another idea is to feature quotes from your kids among the pictures. It requires a little more diligence to remember to write them down throughout the year, but they love reading things they said years later.

24. Brittany J says

I love love love making photo books! I always make one every year to my husband from our kids (ages 1 and 3) of pics of the three of them from the past year and all the reasons he is the best daddy ever :)

25. Kerrie B. says

You could make a family tree album. Scan in old pictures of your ancestors from the non-digital age. The first page could be a compilation of everyone and show how they are related and then there could be a page for each person telling more details. I would love to do one of these for my family!

How about a book for a baby…one that has all of your family members in it. So when you look at it together they can get to know the faces of all their family members…including aunts, uncles, cousins etc…. I always loved those fabric books you can get at baby stores, but they NEVER had enough room for ALL of my family members!

I made a recipe book for my mom a couple of years ago full of recipes all her kids remembered from when we were growing up. I had family pictures mixed in and had each of my siblings write little notes about what they remembered about a certain recipe — a time that we ate it or coming home from church to the small every sunday, etc. It was a really fun, meaningful gift for every member of our family. Good luck!!

Amy
    amygregson@cox.net

We are having a family reunion this coming June and it would be so fun to make an album of our extended family. We don’t live close to my family so my kids don’t get to see their cousins very often.

29. valerie says

I think its already been suggested, but I made my son a book with pics of all my family, so that he would get to know them, even if he rarely gets to see them. He loved it and knows all of them, including their pets.

30. Evie Gibbs says

A book I’ve been wanting to is a “favorite things” book. pages of everyone’s favorite activities, foods, etc.

31. Katie C. says

How fun! I think it would be great to do a photo book of the seasons. I would include detailed pictures of the seasons. Of course this would include lots of pictures of my children! :)

32. Amy Gehring says

I think it would be fun to make a book out of a family vacation. We went to Disney this past summer and I haven’t even started a book or album from that vacation.

33. Barb Pfister says

I think too many times we let the past slip away. That is why think an album featuring each of the generations of the family and listing and picturing the things they remember most about growing up in their generation. The traditions they had back then and all the stuff that the towns they grew up in used to celebrate and all the things they have seen through the years.

Because we live so far away from all the cousins in our family and we only get togther once a year (someimes a little more), I think a book of the cousins growing up would be a great Christmas present for all of those involved. You could make one book and send multiple copies to each family. It would be fun for the kids to see how much they’ve grown over the years.

35. Erin A says

A fun idea for a photo book is making an ABC book. My mother and I have made one for my niece and we took photos of her own toys and items at her house. That way it was personalized to fit her.

36. Lynn Davison says

I love the idea of a photo book of Christmas through the years. Watching us go from a couple to a family, documenting our traditions, seeing the changes in the kids, the decorations, even the grown ups (if we let you take our picture). My kids are adults now, but I think they’d love it!

37. Tracy Lagrove says

I think it would be fun to do maybe a superhero theme with kids, or a passage of time one, featuring lots of clocks as we show the progression of our children’s lives.

I think it would be great to have a book for the little ones. My 1 year old loves to look at our photo books and point out his mama and dada.. he also points out himself as “baby” I have been thinking about making him an about my family book and putting all of our pictures in it so he can point at them and say the names. He really seems to enjoy it.

I think it would be fun to make a Where’s Waldo-type book. You could take photos around town of different family members in crowded locations.

40. Marissa Pinon says

A school portfolio each year for your child. Include art, awards, report cards and notes from classmates or teachers. Much cleaner and cuter. Than filing a bunch of papers.

41. Priya says

An alphabet book with pictures of themselves ,their various moods ,expressions,toys will make a great memory book for kids.

42. JackieN says

My husband and I spent a lot of time customizing out wedding ceremony, picking out the readings, songs and prayers that meant the most to us, and conveyed the perfect message to our family and friends. It was something I didn’t ever want to forget, so I made a photobook of the ceremony. There are some photos, all of the ceremony, but the highlight of each page is mass/ceremony. All the readings, prayers, song lyrics are there. This way, we’ll never forget those things.

The photobook I want to do now, is one chronicling the building of our new house! Listing the options we chose to customize it, and why we did what we did to create our new home :)

Good luck!

email: jackie at jacabean dot com

43. Erica B. says

My girls are constantly taking random pictures of each other with my phone and making funny faces. Usually, I am looking for the perfect shot so I discard all the funny ones or the ones that are not “perfect.” This year, I compiled a photobook with all their wacky photos. These photos would never show up on a Christmas card or facebook post but together it makes for one funny book!

44. JamieP says

I am a professional photographer and for my grandparent’s 50th anniversary, I decided to do a photoshoot with just the two of them…kind of like an engagement session. It was so much fun to watch them interact with one another like they were newlyweds. For their party, we had some of the images enlarged to canvas to display. I think that it would be fun to put all of the images from their session and compile them into a book so that they have a quick and easy way to look through all of them in one spot!

45. Vicki D. says

I just finished up working on a personalized ABC book with blocks corresponding to the alphabet:-) Fun for the kids!! Good luck ladies:-)

Well, since Hubby and I will celebrate the big 10 year anniversary this year I would love to make him a book of the 2 of us and the last 10 years of our marriage! It would be for both of us of course as I would love to have it too!

47. Kristy P. says

Everyone one is so into family trees right now – How about a hard cover book of a family tree? The whole family can get involved – sharing stories and information about relatives down the line. This book would be able to be ordered for the WHOLE family! I think it would be something cherished by not only one house – but aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, siblings, etc. What an amazing gift for adults and children to have to meet relatives that passed before them!

• JackieN says

I’m working on a series of these for each side of the family! It’s been YEARS in the making, as we are fortunate to have pictures and stories going back 5 generations in places. I love that with it being digital, I can get multiple copies for anyone in the family who wants one.

48. Rachel says

What about the “ABC’s of Me!” I did this for my son and he LOVES looking through the book. A is for airplane rides, B is for books, etc.

49. Stacy Hansen says

I made a book for my parents (and also printed one for all of my siblings) of all of our christmas traditions. We do pjs every year and I went through all of my parents old pictures and found one picture from each year back to 1980 to present. I also found pictures of all of the different christmas trees my mom decorated and any other pictures I could find of the traditions we do each year. My parents loved it!

stayce581 at hotmail dot com

50. Christine Hoyle says

think having an area where you could list your child’s “letter to Santa” that year would be a nice memory and an area where you could list your family traditions (with pictures to accompany these). I think sometimes family traditions get forgotten and it is so much fun to remember them and try to start them back up. (Also, maybe some recipe ideas that Grandma use to make?).

51. Kristen Webster says

How about a book called “I Love yo because…” it would be fun to look back and see all the fun things you did that year and the little bits of love that you thought about when the event happened.

52. Jessica says

Our family has lots of recipes and holiday traditions that have been passed down this year. My 22-month-old son got to make chicken and dumplings for the first time at Thanksgiving this year with his great-grandmother and all the women of the family, which is a huge tradition for us. We always “induct” the newest family members with flour on their faces and new aprons. I would love to make a photo book about these special traditions, and maybe include the recipes (photo of recipes written in my grandmother’s handwriting) with pictures of us cooking. Who can resist a picture of a child covered in flour and grinning from ear to ear?

53. Maggie Conrad says

How about doing a “months of the year” book…each month include photos of each family memeber that shares a birthday that month, holiday’s that fall in the month and other family traditions for each respective month( vamily vacations, state fair, ect….)

54. Kristy says

I’d love to do a book about the things I love about my boys, or my favorite things to do with the boys. I love Snapfish! I just placed a huge print order this morning!

Oh my goodness! I’d love to do so many different things! I want to to an ABC book with things that my kids love and relate to, a book of emotions featuring all the cousins that my kids rarely get to see, a book telling the story of Christmas with my kids acting out each scene…so many things! Good Luck ladies, I hope you win!

56. Kristy says

So will the winning design be used by Snapfish then as a template for books to purchase? It’s a great idea I think. My family has traveled quite a bit in the United States and I think it would be fun to have a photobook with a state for each page. Of course, it would take years to compile but evenutally you’d have a record of all the places you’ve been. We’d get a kick out of that. For Snapfish, they could offer all the states and you could pick and choose which ones you’d want to use in your own book.

57. Stacey says

I would love a book with all of our Santa pictures every year from the time my son was born and then as our family has grown, additional children are in the picture! Such a special treasure to have! It would be fun for Halloween pictures too, showing how they grow and change from year to year and their costume choices!

I love the idea of a family “smash” book. Just like in high school when you talked about your favorite memory, event, exciting thing, trip, funny moment, etc… you did that year. I’ve seen some pre made paper packs popping up in the scrapbooking stores but it would be great to do one with photos. Then you could add in all those great family photos that related to all those fun events or funny moments of that year.

59. Shelby Gatewood says

As a base I think kids Christmas songs would be good. If you want to take it a step farther these the year, do all different kids songs and end with CHristmas ones. Good Luck!!

60. joan says

I love love love Snapfish!! A few years ago I ordered a book, through Snapfish, for my daughter who’s an outstanding Nail Tech. Fantastic! No one ever tires of looking at it! A great way to display ideas for all types of designs or….. anything!

61. Becky C says

I like the idea of making a photo book of my child’s artwork. They always end up with so much we can’t keep it all, but to take pictures and compile them in a book would be such a neat way to remember all their masterpieces without keeping all the clutter.

62. Debbie. Wyler says

I was just thinking the other day that I want to make a photobook of all of my favorite things. It will be a wonderful piece of my personal history!

63. Jennifer Roubique says

I think a book with an Elf on the Shelf theme would be cute. Show pictures of where the elf was found each morning along with the kids’ reactions to all the mischief the elf got into overnight.

64. Kelly P says

I plan on making art photobooks of my 2 kids “masterpieces” that I’ve saved over the past few years. The best part is that after I take the photos of the artwork, and make them into a book- then I can toss the art and still have the memory.

65. HEIDI ALLEN says

I create photo books for my children every 3 years, dont ask me why every 3 it just seems to work that way, but I have a few who have a love for a baby or a bear, I think it would be a fun idea to incorperate those babies or bears in photos thru out the bood as a search and find, or even do a search in find not specific to the bears but to what else is in the picture. My kids love search and find books

66. Robin says

I had my daughter write and illustrate a short story and added some photos of her as well that tied in with the story. She loved seeing her story made into a book!

I made a book right after my son was born, capturing everything that happened while we were in the hospital. I’m so glad I have that time preserved in that way!

68. Tiffany says

I usually create a photo book when we go on a big family vacation together with my siblings, parents, nieces/nephews so we can all remember the fun trip we had.

69. Angie S. says

I think it would be great to put together a family cookbook. Take photos of classic family dishes and share the recipes with the entire family.

70. Jennifer says

I have a 4 and 2 year old. I am thonking of making a growing up before our eyes book. Each page dedicated to a month. What they did and were into each month

Love these books, did on a trip to Hawaii that my mom was able to take us all on. We had never been on a family trip together like that and it was fun to make one for her to always remember.

72. Tara says

I love these photo books…I started out scrapbooking my first son and have three books of him, but then had three more kids, boom boom boom, so needless to say they are all saved on my computer but nothing in hardback. These are a great way to make awesome memories for my kiddos. I love the ideas I’ve seen on here, I do one every year about our summer vacation. The kids love it…funny fishing trips, swimming, it’s all so fun to remember!! My favorite idea on here is doing a year book for each kid with their school work, school photo, artwork, friends, teacher notes – so much nicer than filing a bunch of papers for forever! I hope you win!! taralealewis@hotmail.com

73. Bianca says

I think the are great as message/signing book at weddings birthdays etc! Just add you photos and leave every other page blank for your friends messages :)

74. Bobbi says

This past Halloween my girls were Alice in Wonderland, Little Red Riding Hood and Little Miss Muffet so I compiled some darling pictures of them in character and printed out a “nursery” rhyme book from snapfish starring them! I even added in some other fun nursery rhymes like the eency weency spider with their spider halloween shirts on. It turned out so cute. . I sent a small one to all of my family and they love them too. My girls have wanted it as there first bedtime story many nights since! I plan on doing a couple more books with them as the characters. . they love it! Good Luck Crafting Chicks!

75. JoAnn Barnson says

My kids love looking at pictures of themselves too. I need to make them some books, what a great Christmas gift idea!

I would love to make a book of cute quotes the kids have said and add pics of the ages they are. I have a few where I have caught the quotes on camera..and they are awesome. This is a fantastic giveaway. Good luck to you guys!

77. Christina Anderson says

We do a book containing all of our “yearly ornaments”. Every year we pick an ornament for each child which represents what their interests were that year and a family ornament that we got to symbolize that year also. I’d love to put these into a book so we can admire them year after year and remember the story behind them!

78. Tait says

I love the photobooks! I give one from Snapfish each Christmas to grandparents with pictures of my boys from the last year. The grandparents look forward to opening this gift each year!

79. Lizzy Allen says

I would make an alphabet book by taking pictures of the alphabet in everyday objects. Kids could help out with this. For example, you may find a cloud in the shape of a T, or a puddle in the shape of a 0, or a H in a fence. Then, I would have my son stand in the picture somewhere holding up a letter card for the corresponding letter. Do this for every letter in the alphabet!

80. Marcie says

What about a history of you that you can give to your kids? We spend a lot of timing documenting our kids lives, and I’ve been thinking it would be nice to put together a book about me for them to read when they are older. With stories about my childhood, my favorite recipes, etc. I wish my mom would make one for me. :)

81. Lanelle lambert says

I think a book with a the months of the year would be fun. A creative back ground for each month would make putting a photo book to give as a gift to some one easy and it could be used to keep track of kids life milestones like a first year of babies life book or first year of marriage ect.

82. nadine says

I would like to do a family tree idea book to show the grandchildren where everyone fits in & also people like their great grand dad & great great parents who have recently passed , look like . Pictures mean more to young ones

83. DBrooks says

A Christmas Story- I’m using photos of my ornaments & telling the signifance of each…what it represents, reminds me of, who made it or gave it to me, etc.
    A Wonderful Life- use of a lifetime if Christmas memories 2. Allot a page or 2 for each family member’s important pictures from the past year. 3. I’m using this theme for a photobook in memory of my husband who passed away in May. I’m using his pictures to tell the story of his life for my teenaged step-daughters.

Through the years- I’m using this theme to make photobooks w/pictures of my husband
    w/his daughters.

84. Janica says

I get overwhelmed w/all of the papers my son brings home from school (& church). I’ve started scanning these fun coloring pages & worksheets into a folder on my computer. I would LOVE to print-out a photobook every year w/my boy’s work! It’d be fun to put 2-4 sheets per photo page & compare his work from the beginning to the end of the year:)

85. Bianca says

I saw on Facebook another great idea this morning, my app wont load properly now so I can’t tell you who it was sorry.

They called it 20 questions. Each year they took a picture of there kid and asked the same 20 questions eg: what’s you favirot colour, toy, game, food, tv show, friend ect.
    So the left side of the book was the picture and the right side was the questions. I thought it was a great idea and look great!! It would be great to look back on it :D

86. jane says

I make a little 8×8 scrapbook of my grandaughter and her daddy (who’s no longer with my daughter) for him for father’s day – kind of a good will gesture. I get ‘daddy/daughter’ pictures he posts on facebook. Also make a flip book (of my grandaughter) from snapfish for her paternal great grandmother who doesn’t get to see her very much. Not expensive, I enjoy making them, and keeps those good will feelings flowing!

87. Dezi A says

Bummer to missing the first 100. :(
    But my idea is to do a book that compares the same time of life for everyone in your family. If that makes any sense. So like the birth story and pictures of mom, dad and all the children. Or like 1st birthday. 1st day of school. Christmases. :)

88. Shana says

I would love to create, with the help of Snapfish, a yearly “holiday’s” album. Can’t find the time to do the traditional scrapbook & LOVE the digital.