We are excited to be taking part in a book launch this week for our talented friend, Rebecca Cooper and her newest eBook Real.Life.Photography: How to find magic in everyday moments available NOW at Ella Publishing! I absolutely love this reminder to look for and capture the beauty in the simple, daily moments of our lives with our families. It’s a subject that is important to me and that I need to be better at actually doing, because I know I will want to look back on those sweet (and not so sweet!) moments that make up our life. So I was very happy to receive a copy of Rebecca’s book and I’d love to tell you about it!
In her newest book, photographer Rebecca Cooper inspires us to pick up our camera more often and look for the magic in everyday moments! She shares 70 pages of tips and ideas for taking amazing photos in all kinds of real-life situations.
Illustrated by 127 real-life photos, this eBook is organized into six useful chapters, including: Photographing Real Life, Using Real Light, Capturing Real Relationships, Practicing Real Patience, Enhancing Real Photos, and Checklists for Real Life. Here are some samples of pages inside the book:
This book is AWESOME. Here are some things I loved about Real.Life.Photography.:
- It is FULL of clear instructions, organized beautifully with lots of sample photos to illustrate her points. I’m such a visual person so I love to see examples. And Rebecca’s photography is a total TREAT to look at.
- She gives practical advice that both beginner and professional can appreciate. I how how she says to “embrace imperfection” and allow yourself to photograph even the messy moments or temper tantrums. 😉 She shares strategies for success that are simple to follow but give you the results you’re after.
- Rebecca explains technical things in a way that we all can understand. She shares her camera settings and she has a section almost on every page called “How I got the shot” that I totally love. You get the background story about the photo and tips on how to get a similar shot too.
- I love the reminders to get in those pictures YOURSELF! Hand the camera over to someone so you can be a part of the memories too!
- Rebecca shares tips on how to create BETTER shots even within the normal environment of home. You don’t have to be in a perfect studio or even have everything cleaned up–you can still take a beautiful photo by following her tips and tricks and paying attention to angles and your point of view.
- I love her lessons on finding natural light. A MUST READ for improving your photography, it makes such a difference!
- She also shares ideas on how to get natural smiles from your kids! And having patience! (something I just might need to work on!)
- I love her checklists to remind us what opportunities we can look for in our daily activities that could be worth capturing! I LOVE THESE!
Rebecca also talks about ways to improve and enhance your photography, with some tricks in Photoshop (PS) or Photoshop Elements (PSE) that can really make your photos have that WOW factor. Like how to brighten up a photo or fix common mistakes. She mentions a set of actions (basically a shortcut for performing a series of photo-editing steps) called the Simple Fixes Action Set that you can also purchase at Ella Publishing. These actions were developed by Addy Lane Vintage Actions to help you to add an extra dose of magic to your favorite photos—you can fix common photo problems, punch up the color, or even create ultra rich black and whites in just a few clicks of the mouse.
I could go on and on because I honestly loved reading through this book. SO GOOD. It inspires me to jump right in and get those everyday moments recorded–I want to do it so very much. Rebecca sums it all up so well:
“Photographing real life isn’t always easy. In fact, it’s a lot harder than taking family portraits in a well-lit studio or outdoors at the perfect time of day. Real life passes quickly. It doesn’t wait for you to pull out your camera. It doesn’t wait for ideal lighting conditions. And it doesn’t wait for your house to be spotless. But I promise that capturing everyday moments is worth the extra effort. Capturing life as it happens helps me see things differently. Boring becomes beautiful. Ordinary becomes extraordinary. Life can get so busy and crowded with distractions that it’s easy to forget what matters most. Pausing to take photos along the way helps me slow down and just enjoy my life exactly as it is.” —from Real.Life.Photography.: How to find magic in everyday moments by Rebecca Cooper
So I have some good news! There’s currently an introductory special for the book + actions. Regular price for the book or the actions is $12.99 but they can be purchased now for $9.99 each. If purchasing the actions + book together you receive an additional 20% off using coupon code PHOTOFIX.
You can follow more of Rebecca’s beautiful photography and projects on her blog: Simple As That.
And even more good news! Rebecca and Ella Publishing are offering as a giveaway to one of our readers a copy of each of the three eBooks she’s written to date – 40 Top Tips for Better Photos and Don’t Say Cheese!, and Real. Life. Photography. Plus the Simple Fixes Action Set for either PS or PSE!
To enter follow the steps in the Rafflecopter box:
This giveaway will end on Friday June 22 at midnight EST. The winner will be notified via email and must respond within 48 hours or another winner will be chosen.
This is a review of Real. Life. Photography. I was given a copy of the eBook for review purposes; my opinions and thoughts are my own, as always.