Silver Painted Piano

sm piano header

Painting a piano has been something I’ve wanted to check off of my DIY/(I’m so crazy for doing this) list!  I LOVE the look of painted pianos.  With my kids beginning piano, I wanted an inexpensive piano they could learn on until getting serious…someone has to play well in order to spend that kind of money:)

After pinning many Painted Pianos, I got up the courage, found one on the local classifieds and the rest is history!

The piano I found…well let’s say…was VERY loved…and used.  I honestly think the children must have hammered it or something…it looked as though it had been through a war!  But since it sounded well and had a cute shape to it…I could see the good in it.

Before & After…

sm piano before - Copy

sm piano after - Copy

sm piano bench

I had the piano delivered and had the movers place it on a drop cloth in my living room.

I needed to be able to paint this piano in my living room…using no stripper…primer…or spray paint.  The best option for this project was definitely Chalk Paint®.  I have been wanting to try out Chalk Paint®, decorative paint by Annie Sloan.  After looking into it and watching tutorials, I chose the Paris Grey Chalk Paint ® to get started.

sm piano 6 I was completely in awe of how well it covered….with using no stripper…without sanding…and using no primer!  I used a Purdy 2 1/2 inch brush to brush on the paint.

FYI…I only used 1/3 of the paint can on this piano (it goes a long way)!  I had to just use one coat!  It covered so well.  I was sure to tape around the keys and other parts before painting.  It only took an hour to get the Chalk Paint® on the piano.

sm piano 3

Look how well it covered…and so easy to paint… I would have had to do a gazillion coats using regular paint.

sm piano 4

I loved how the Paris grey color turned out, but going into it I knew I wanted that metallic silver look.  This Modern Masters silver paint was AMAZING!  Truly Amazing!  It covered so well…just one good coat was all that was needed.  I just painted right over the Chalk Paint®.  I needed that base for the color tone of the piano and for the ease of painting with the metallic paint.  Once again only used 1/3 of the metallic paint!

sm piano 2

sm piano 10

I also followed Diane’s great tutorial to make a no sew piano bench cushion.  AND it was easy…so simple…just needed cute material, a drill, and hand staple gun.

sm piano 14 - Copy

I love how it turned out.  I added crystal knobs from Home Depot and that was the icing on the cake!

sm piano 11

I also used the Annie Sloan chalk paint in Duck Egg (Such a pretty blue color), to paint my Home Goods sunburst mirror.

sm piano 12

sm piano 5

I hope this inspires some of you who have wanted to take on this project!  You can do it!  You can do it!

sm piano 13 - Copy

Comments

1. Jenny says

That looks wonderful. That’s amazing that it was so easy, only one coat of each paint. I want to try that chalk paint too. Thanks for sharing.

WOW-ee!!! This is amazing! I absolutely love this so much! I want to paint my piano a bright color but after seeing this….maybe silver is the way to go! My walls are gray though…..

3. Emily says

Jamie! That is awesome! I am super jealous of the piano style pre-painted…its a great beginner piano and the paint job is great!

One tip for future do-it-yourself-ers : BE CAREFUL when moving it. It doesn’t matter what a piano looks like on the outside, but if you crack the sound board, consider it finished.

You are so BRAVE!!!! to paint your PIANO!!!! I don’t think I would have the courage to do that!

I would like, however, to paint our china cabinet. I don’t have time to strip or sand nor do I have space to spray paint. I want to paint it while it is in the house (it’s too big to move). Do you think the Annie Sloan chalk paint would work?

Oh, gosh! I just saw you can use the paint on your kitchen cabinets! Holy moly!

Also, thanks for the link to the piano bench cushion tutorial. Now THAT is something I can do to our piano so it isn’t brown, brown, and more brown. :)

5. Debbie says

It’s beautiful! I’d like to try doing that on a piece of furniture. One question I have is about the Modern Masters paint. I looked on their website and they have so many silver colors; which “silver” did you use? Thanks!

6. Brittany says

This is beautiful! And I love how you decorate everything surrounded the piano. I’m just curious though, where did you get the white jar/container on the right side of the piano?

7. Cathy says

Thanks for the tutorial. I painted my older piano and made a bench seat as well. I ended up using a primer though because I bought Chalkboard paint by mistake instead of Chalk Paint. The metallic paint worked beautifully even though it does show brush/roller marks a little.

1. [...] like it’s the last room I think about but it is the first room a guest sees.  Since adding a piano to that space, I’m happy to say that this room is much more welcoming…and used!  When [...]