Your kids will love the art activity I’m sharing today: Rainforest Animals with Chalk Pastel Drawings.
I’m all about finding fun and inexpensive ideas to keep my kids entertained in the summer. When they learn something along the way, it’s even better.
You will need the following:
- Chalk Pastels (buy on Amazon or at an arts/craft store)
- Black oil pastel (optional)
- Construction paper- school/heavy grade
- Pictures for inspiration
- Newspaper to cover your surface
- Soap and water for cleanup
Older children may be able to create their own by looking at pictures of animals or using their imagination. For younger children, you will probably want to draw the animal for them to color.
1. Set out newspaper to cover your work surface. Begin by very lightly using a black chalk pastel to sketch your animal. You can fix lines and shapes as you go until you’re sure of the design you want.
2. Trace over your design with a black oil pastel if you have one, or using the black chalk pastel more darkly if you don’t.
5. When you’re happy with your picture, finish by retracing your design with your black oil/chalk pastel to make it pop!
My boys all wanted to do snakes, but you could do a jaguar, toucan, monkey, tapir, fish, etc. There are many animals to choose from!
Chalk pastels clean easily with soap and water. Your kids will love seeing their animals come to life in art! And of course, you can use this same technique with anything, not just rainforest animals!
Thanks so much for having me here! I hope you’ll stop by my blog or visit me on social media. You can find me in the following places:
If you like Kids’ Crafts, check out our Tie-Dye Towels
and my huge list of Summer Activities for Kids!