All Things Brush & Hand Lettering
This post contains affiliate links. We make a small portion if you purchase through one of the links in this post.
The art of brush and hand lettering is such a fun way to express yourself. You can also decorate your home with this craft by creating very unique crafts to match any decor. Or… you can make some incredible handmade gifts.
If you have already discovered the joy that comes from brush and hand lettering, you know just what I am talking about. If you have yet to dive in…. what are you waiting for? If you want to start with an easy craft, take a look at our Paint Your Own Designer Pillows blog post. This craft is so much fun. And the best part, since this is your own masterpiece, it is really hard to mess up.
Before you get started, having the right tools for the craft is important. Take a look at our favorite brush and hand lettering supplies that will help you get the exact look you are searching for.
Brush & Hand Lettering Books
There are several different techniques to use when it comes to brush and hand lettering. These books will give you the inside scoop on how to achieve every look from calligraphy to
- Hand Lettering 101: This spiral bound notebook is a great place to start practicing your creative lettering. The binding creates a flat surface which makes it easy to practice writing letters.
- The Ultimate Brush Lettering Guide: Whether you are a beginner or expert at hand lettering, this guide is a great way to start or expand on your skill level. By completing the lessons you will be able to master hand lettering.
- Creative Lettering and Beyond: Look to this book for creative inspiration and tips on everything to do with brush and hand lettering. This book covers it all from the tools you will need to different techniques to create the letters you want.
- Adventures in Lettering: This book is sort of like a workshop. There are beginner’s task as well as more advanced activities to perfect hand lettering skills.
Brush & Hand Lettering Markers
- Dual Brush Art Markers: Use a nice set of brush pens to get the look you really want. This set includes a rainbow of colors, a blending pen, as well as double sided ends. One end has a thick tip and the other has a narrow tip which makes the pens versatile.
- Water Brush Pen Set: If you love to paint and want to try something outside of a paint brush and paint, give this set a go. The end result still looks the same as a set of paints and brush, but it is less messy and easier to control.
- Oil Based Pen Markers: For projects that are made of ceramic, wood, rubber, stone or metal, this set of oil based pens is what you will need to use. They come in a Medium Tip Set and a Fine Tip Set. Or you can pick up Both Oil Based Pen Sets.
- Sharpie Pen Set: These pens are my all time favorite. They can be used on a variety of media, the colors are amazing, and the ink stays in its place. Plus, there are a ton of different tips and colors to choose from including this Metallic Sharpie Set, Sharpie Fine Point Art Pen Set, and the Sharpie Neon Fine Point Pen Set.
Brush & Hand Lettering Paint Supplies
- Acrylic Paint Set: With over 20 different colors in this set, you will have the ability to match any color you wish.
- Paint Brush Set: This paint brush set is great for brush and hand lettering because they have extra long handles which can help create letters.
Stencils & Media for Brush & Hand Lettering
- DIY Type Stencil Book: These stencils help you create Type font on just about any media you choose. With over 50 stencils, this book has the entire alphabet and numbers covered.
- Stones: Painting on stones is a great way to practice your technique. It also makes for a colorful rock garden. Use these smooth, white rocks to paint whatever your heart desires.
- Stretched Canvas: Display your favorite quote or make your own family monogram with these blank canvases.
- Natural Wood Blank Sign: Creating signs with a wood background combined with brush lettering gives a rustic spin on a modern day art technique.
Now it is your turn to share. Tell us about your passion for all things brush and hand lettering in the comments. We would love to hear about your projects, tips, and must haves for this craft.