Easy Key Lime Cupcakes start out as a basic cake mix, but a few extras make it a delicious recipe!
Easy Key Lime Cupcakes
These KEY LIME Cupcakes are divine! And they are so easy to make…because I cheat a little:)
We make these in the summertime. You can make this same recipe using lemon juice. Just make sure you use real lime juice in your recipe:)
- 1 Box of white or vanilla cake mix
- ⅓ C. Vegetable or Canola Oil
- 3 Eggs
- 1 C. Water
- 1-2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 2-3 Tablespoons Lime Zest (optional)
- 3-4 Drops green food coloring
- 1 C. softened cream cheese (8 oz.)
- 1 Stick of butter
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1½-2 C. Powdered Sugar
- 2 Drops green food coloring
- It is important to use REAL LIME JUICE!
- Combine the mix with water, eggs and oil. Mix on low for 30 seconds and med-high for 2 minutes. Then add the lime juice, zest and food coloring. Mix for another minute on med-high.
- Scoop into cupcake liners (I use an ice cream scoop) and bake for 12-17 min (depending on your oven and altitude-don't overcook)
- Let the cupcakes completely cool before adding the frosting.
- Cream together the softened cream cheese and stick of butter. Add vanilla and lime juice. Slowly add in the powdered sugar to desired consistency.
- Pipe on the frosting. Then add a Lime wedge on top!
Looking for yummy cake recipes? Try THESE mug cake recipes.
Or this Samoa Bundt Cake
keri @ shaken together says
I’ll take a dozen! They key lime cupcakes are absolutely perfect for Spring & Summer!
These are simply lime cupcakes. There’s a difference. Key limes are about the size of a quarter and key lime juice is $$
Trish Stone says
These look so delicious! Loving the recipes you guys find
Gwen Watson says
Key lime is one of those classic flavors that taste great in any dessert. These key lime cupcakes are an especially decadent treat! They’re super easy to make, too, because they use boxed cake mix.
Brenna Rastrelli says
Can’t wait to make these for hubby’s birthday. Thank you for not making them an unnatural shade of green! They are so pretty like this.
What temp for the oven?
Absolutely LOVE the frosting. It came out perfect! So soft it melts in your mouth and just the perfect lime flavor. I’ve made others but this is my favorite and will be my go to frosting. Thank you for sharing such an amazing recipe 😀
They look delicious! What temperature do you bake them at in the oven?
Love these cupcakes and so easy. You need 5-6 normal limes.
If I made this as a cake what size pan would work and how long would I cook it for? Thanks!
I would use a 9×13 pan, and cook for about 20 mins. Check to see if it needs to be cooked longer. Let us know how it goes. 🙂
I added 2 more cups of powdered sugar to the frosting to make enough to pipe 24 cupcakes and have the right consistency. Could use a one pound box for the amount of butter and cream cheese. Did not add any extra liquid. Very good!
Paula Connelly says
Hello I just tried this recipe for Key Lime Cupcakes and it is PERFECT!! I substituted Lime Zest and use about 2tbsp Jello Lime Gelatin mix and I used actual Key Lime juice. Mmm good!!
Just made these and LOVE them. My husband, who didn’t like key lime pie, etc., tried one and loved it. I added an extra tablespoon of lime juice to the icing because I wanted a little extra zing. 🙂
Well now I’m going to have to add some extra to the icing. That sounds delicious.
Jenny Lynne says
These were absolutely delicious! I used real key lime juice. Just the right amount of sweet and tangy! I also sprinkled the top with graham cracker crumbs! The whole family loved these!!
Hello i cannot find cake mix in our place can i use cake flour, all purpose flour? If so how many cups in one batch…thank you
A cake mix has the flour, sugar and a levening like baking soda already mixed together. So just using all purpose flour wouldn’t give you the same results unfortunately. Here is a link to some cake mixes on Amazon if you want to order one.
Marth smith says
Could I make this recipe in 2 9inch round cake pans?
350 degrees for 20 mins?
I would bake according to your cake mix directions.