A minky baby blanket is a great gift for a new arrival, but the whole family will love it’s soft texture!
Minky Baby Blanket Tutorial
Months ago I watched a friend make one of these minky blankets and I couldn’t stop thinking about them! I found myself wishing I knew someone having a baby, just so I could make it. Everything about it is the perfect baby blanket. It is soft. It is just the right weight. Not too heavy and not too light. And best of all they are stinkin’ cute! Luckily, my brother and sister-in-law gave me a new little nephew to make one for.
Oh yeah, and it is easy. There’s no piecing and no turning needed! The quilted look comes by sewing straight lines between the minky dots. Every 4 dots you sew a straight line down between the dots and then turn 90 degrees and do the same thing. Because of the dots there is no need to mark where to sew!
1. Cut fabric and minky to the same size. (I used 42″ squares)
2. Place fabric wrong sides together. There is no turning, so sew it like you will see it when finished.
3. Pin in a few spots to prevent fabrics from shifting or stretching.
4. Sew straight lines between minky dots. I went every 4 minky.
5. Turn 90 degrees and repeat step 4.
6. Once sewn, trim sides so they are square and bind with coordinating fabric!
I’m seriously in love with it. And even though it is being shipped off to Hawaii I know it will be a blanket the little guy will love even when he is a bigger guy!
Heck–I’m a grown adult and I want one!