{Homemade Block Ornaments}

It’s Jamie-another fellow crafty chick! I haven’t had much time to craft lately-due to the arrival of my sweet twins, Hallie and Logan. But I did squeeze in some time to make these homemade block ornaments. A new tradition of ours is to make a homemade ornament every year. My kiddos were so excited to hang their ornaments on our tree. My mom made ornaments when I was little and I still remember them. I remember her sleds made out of popsicle sticks with our names on it. My sister and I loved to pull out the ones made for us each year.

So here are the steps to make these:
You’ll need:
1.5 inch plain wooden blocks (one for each family member-found at any craft store)
mod podge
scissors
photos/scrapbook paper-or you can do used digital scrapbook paper in photoshop
cup hooks (I used silver 7/8 in. ones)
ribbon to hang the ornaments

step one: cut out your squares for the sides {I digi scrapped mine in photo shop using a Christmas kit from Shabby Miss Jen} I put a letter on the front, name and year on the back, photos on the sides and cute scrapbook paper on top and bottom.
step two: mod podge the squares on, and modpodge over to seal (I like matte mod podge-not the gloss)
step three: screw in cup holders on top of the blocks when dry
step four: tie ribbon on and hang on your tree!
Here are the finished blocks before adding the hooks and ribbon.

Cup hooks (you can find them at Walmartin the hardware section)

& Here are the finished ornaments!

{Merry Christmas!}

Comments

These are AWESOME! I’m going to do this tonight for grandparents! What a great extra gift. Congratulations on your twins they are beautiful! Have a happy Holiday!

Congratulations Jamie! This is Kirsten Wright’s friend Kierstin. I didn’t know you were pregnant with twins again :) That is so much fun… and I’m sure SO busy. The blocks are adorable and you’re definitely supermom in my book! I look forward to the many cute future crafts to come!

Jamie, I’m loving these!!! Definitely on my list to do for next year. This December got away from me! :) Love the photo too. Let’s get together soon!

Hi Jamie.

A 2nd set of twins…what a BLESSING and another boy/girl set too! Yeah for A&B! I’m sure they love playing the role of big brother/big sister.

Your craft project is fantastic and on my to do list for next year. I always find so much inspiration from you and Brooke over at Little Wonders.

Many Blessings to you and your family in 2010,

Valerie

5. Word Designer says

I love these! What a great idea. I was trying to figure out something special for my grandies for Christmas and these would have really been perfect. Ah, well. I have until next year to make one for each of them. Thank you for the idea.

Wordy
    Word Designer

6. Alison says

LOVE these! Really want to make these for my twin girls first Christmas ornaments! Your twins are precious BTW. This has been the toughest and most amazing year of my life. Mothering twins is a tremendous blessing. Congrats!! How do you get your letters and names so pretty? color printer? did you use scrap booking supplies? Alison

7. CONNIE SANDERS says

OH MY GOODNESS…THIS DOES A GRANNY GOOD…I AM GOING TO START FROM 6 YRS AGO & CATCH UP…THANK YOU FOR THIS POST…LOVE IT….GRANNY SANDERS

8. Michelle Foster says

I made something like you did back in the early 80s. I had some wooden ABC blockes that my kids had played with. I also was overseas with my spouse and was feeling a bit lonely at Christmas. I had also saved Christmas cards from my Granparents and others that had passed away. I cut up their cards and glued them to all the sides of the blocks that didn’t have a letter. Then I applied varnish . I still have the kids blocks and also my grandparents cards to this day. The blocks are hung on the tree every year making it special.

9. Tarra Simmons says

Would Christmas wrapping paper work? Or would it yellow? I want to make these bit I don’t have scrap booking paper & quick look at wal mart’s scrap book papers & none of them were Christmas like.

10. Erin says

I’d also love to know what fonts you used for the single letter; yours looks perfect and I am struggling to find one that looks as good!! Thanks so much for sharing the idea!