Mini Pots of Pumpkin Cream Pie

I love all things “mini.” Especially when it has to do with food. :) So when I saw the idea for little potted pumpkin pies on the beautiful blog inchmark, I immediately wanted to make some of my own. It was perfect timing, because I had a lunch get-together with some girlfriends last week and these mini desserts were a big hit with them! It’s such a fun idea for a delicious fall treat–making little individual mini jars of pie just adds that extra special touch. It’s very easy to put it all together.

Now, I don’t love regular pumpkin pie, but I DO love me some pumpkin cream pie and make it every year for fall and Thanksgiving. So that’s what I put into the little “pots” instead of regular pumpkin pie. It is a simple recipe with delicious results!

To make these, you will need the ingredients for pumpkin cream pie and graham cracker crust (in more detail below), as well as:

• 12 small mason jars (I used half-pint wide mouth jars found at the grocery store, 1 dozen for about $7.99)

Graham Cracker Crust

• 1 1/2 cups finely crushed graham crackers (I ended up using about 1 1/2 packages of graham crackers and crushed them in my food processor)
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 6 Tablespoons melted butter

Mix these together well, then press into the small mason jars with your fingers, and chill in the fridge. I did not cook this crust.

Recipe for Pumpkin Cream Pie:

• 1 cup pumpkin (pureed)
  • 2 cups cold milk
  • 2 boxes of instant vanilla pudding (3.5 oz. size)
  • 1 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
  • 1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed (such as Cool Whip–or make your own whipping cream)
  • Extra whipped topping for the top of the pies

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix together on low speed for 1 minute. Spoon filling into mason jars on top of the graham cracker crust. Top with a layer of whipped topping and chill in the fridge until set, for about 3 hours.

For the finishing touch I created some simple “pumpkin cream pie” labels in photoshop (my favorite font lately is LD Adornment), printed them out and used a 2.5 inch circle punch to cut them out. I used double sided sticky tape to stick the labels onto the flat lid on the jars. I also added a ribbon around the outside of the lid.

I think they look totally adorable and I love the layers of yumminess you can see with the clear glass jars. :) It’s fun to grab a spoon and get all three layers in one bite.

This would be a cute treat to take to neighbors and friends, to your Visiting Teaching ladies, or you could even use them as place settings at a holiday dinner–create name tags to put on the tops of the lids instead of the pie labels. A fun and different way to serve up dessert this fall.

Linked at:

Comments

1. Jen says

Oh my gosh!!! Brooke- these are THE cutest things I have ever seen! :) Anything pumpkin is my favorite. I am seriously making these to take to some of my neighbors & friends today!

2. Pat says

This is a great dessert and super idea for serving! Found your blog via Made By You Monday and I’m so glad I did. Can’t wait to make these!

Stop by and say hi when you can. Hope you have a beautiful week!
    Pat

3. Amanda (Bunn) Waite says

Those are super cute! My husband makes fun of me because I say things just taste better when they’re mini and I’m sure these will too! I’ll for sure find a reason to make these in the next month!

4. Amy says

I did something similar a few years ago for T-day. The recipe used the pumpkin cream pie, but I put them in those little phyllo dough tarts you can find in the freezer section. Just thaw the tart shells, fill them w/ the pie, fridge to set them, then before serving put a dollop of whip cream on them before adorning your serving plate w/ them. My only suggestion is to eat them quickly, because the longer they sit out, the soggier they get. Not a bad suggestion in my book :)

5. Lesa says

These are absolutely adorable! I will be making them for my neighbor gifts and co workers for Christmas. Such a clever idea. Thanks for sharing!

6. Sarah says

These are great! I know you said you don’t like pumpkin pie… but do happen to have any experience in freezing pumpkin pie? I wanted to make mini pumpkin pies in these jars, and I just wasn’t sure if I should bake them first, then freeze, of if it would freeze OK prior to baking. Thanks!

• Brooke says

I’m not sure if it can be frozen. This recipe might be tricky because it uses already thawed Cool Whip, so I don’t know if freezing it again would maintain the taste and texture.

7. Lowbudget says

Do you know if Sweet Potatoes can be used instead of the Pumpkin? These are so cute and I would love to make these for our Thanksgiving dinner. I think these would be great.

• Brooke says

I haven’t ever tried it with sweet potatoes but I love them. :) I’m sure it would be great to put the sweet potatoes in the jars with marshmallow and brown sugar on top! Let me know if you end up making it! :)

8. Melanie says

I love these! We will be heading out of town this Thanksgiving and due to work, my husband won’t be able to join us until the day after. This will be the perfect little surprise for me to leave for him to enjoy! Thanks!

9. Meg B. says

I made these for a Halloween play date today for all the Mommies to take home…they were a big hit and sooo good! Thanks for the great idea!!

10. Heather says

Hello! Thank you for visiting my blog! I just discovered your comment, and I am sorry I have not stopped by sooner! Your little mini desserts are great!! I giggled when I saw that you don’t like pumpkin pie…I thought I was the only person who doesn’t like pumpkin pie either! Anyway, I love single serving desserts. These would make wonderful treats for all sorts of nice people!

11. Liz says

This is awesome! What a darling gift these would make. I can’t wait to get started! Thanks for sharing the great tutorial. We will be featuring you on our blog ziggycrafts.blogspot.com

12. Elizabeth says

I am totally in love with these! Like you mentioned – all things mini are awesome. Giving some serious thought to taking some of these to girlfriends at work or to my Mission Crafts Ministry meeting next Monday. Thank you so much for sharing!

13. Amy McKillip says

OMG I just made these and they’re AMAZINGLY TASTY! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! Even my husband loved them and he’s not a pumpkin fan.

14. Andi says

these look great! I am making them today but I am going to use cheesecake flavored pudding. I am going to test a few to see how they do in the freezer. I am a huge fan of pies in mason jars!

15. Ashley says

I wanna make these as favors for my girls b-day party next weekend. it says chill for 3 hrs, but it seems they prob need to stay in fridge until served as well. So my question is how long do they last. I havent worked with pumpkin much, so this might be a ridiculou question but I need to know. :) THanks Ashley

• Brooke says

Hmmmm, I bet they’d at least last overnight. It’s the whipped cream on top that may go soggy after too long but I think you’d be fine making them the day before. Hope that helps!! Good luck!!

16. Julianne says

We’re making this tonight for our Mia Maid activity (so cute!)… is it possible to print the recipe in a format I can hand out to our YW?

17. Shannon says

These would be great in a muffin tin with the foil papers and keep a pot luck neat and clean with little expense! At least I hope it would work! ;o)

18. Julie R. says

Thanks SO MUCH for this post. I started a new job a couple of weeks ago and they did an early Thanksgiving lunch this week. All of the typical dishes were already spoken for, so these were a GREAT addition. The guys could eat them at their desk later, or they could take them home. They LOVED them. I can’t wait to make a typical pie with this recipe for Thanksgiving. YUM!!!