Movies on the House & Music

One of our favorite memories each summer is doing MOVIES ON THE HOUSE with all our neighbors.  This time we did a huge BBQ, then music, then the movie on the house.  MUSIC was new to the mix this year.  One of my favorite things is to play my guitar (and craft of course) and to sing.  My neighbor Troy is an AMAZING singer and much more seasoned performer than I, so I had a total blast performing with him.  We even whipped out the tambourine for a bit.  This is my little dude that was achin’ to put in his two cents at the microphone.

The trick to planning this fun shindig (we planned this in two quick days) was to tell everyone to bring their own food and we would provide the BBQs, then one of my neighbors put the signs up around the neighborhood to advertise a bit.  All you need is a regular home projector and simple sound system.

With the light colored stucco on the house, the movie showed up really nicely.  The menu page was up while we finished up singing so we could see when the movie was ready to play.

The kids always have a ball when we do movies on the house.  This was taken from my second-floor window.

We whipped out the popcorn machine and the lanterns.

Everyone just brings a bunch of blankets and treats and the kids stay up late.

Try it soon.

HAPPY SUMMER!!  And PS….there are two houses for sale in my neighborhood :).  We are recruiting COOL NEIGHBORS…….SERIOUSLY!

xoxo,

Kirsten

Comments

Kirsten, You don’t know how lucky you are to be able to do that with your neighbors. I can’t imagine it. My neighbors barely speak to one another and we are actually being sued by one. (not just us our whole neighborhood!) Crazy… Thanks for sharing about your awesome movie night.

2. Leticia says

SO COOL!!! What kind of projector and speakers do you have? I have seriously been looking forever!!!
    WHere is your neighborhood?

Seriously what a wonderful idea. Just love it. Did you just run a projector using an long extension cord? And is it just fabric on the house? Stucco, unsure what that is. Anyway, my kids would just love this and with friends in tow would equal an awesome night.

What a wonderful way to welcome summer, get the kids excited, build lasting memories, and bond with your neighbors! This is fantastic! Thank you for sharing this. When we were in California something like this never would have happened. We lived in our neighborhood for 5 years and barely knew the first names of the people who lived right next door. It was very sad. But now we live in Western PA, and the people here are SO warm, friendly, loving, and accepting. I can totally see something like this happening here! Enjoy your summer!

Many blessings,
    Rosann

5. Jolie says

It is such a small world! I’ve been following your blog for a few weeks now and reading your post today was so fun because my husband and Troy worked closely together for many years at Lakeview. Troy is so extremely talented and I adore his wife. We know exactly the neighborhood and it is beautiful! Too bad we are not ready to move just yet because that would be such a wonderful place to live! Love your ideas and thanks for sharing your talents! Have a happy day!

• Kirsten says

Hey Barb….no the Woods still live where they have for awhile…but they are in our ward now. They are awesome.

6. Lorinda Loveridge says

For real, need links to the MLS listings for the homes in your neighborhood. What town do you live in? I’m seriously looking for an AMAZING neighborhood. My sweet little family has endured an unbelieveable tragedy recently and need a new start. Such a fun summer idea…

• Kirsten says

e-mail at thecraftingchicks (at) gmail (dot) com and we can chat :). So sorry to hear about your tragedy.

Wow! That looks like sooooo much fun! I was actually just talking with my neighbors tonight about throwing a block party and all grill out! Movies on the house looks like a blast though!

8. Melissa says

Kirsten, you’re so dang talented! Is there anything you can’t do? I wish I could play the guitar and sing.

What a fun neighborhood and great idea!
    Melissa Morris

9. Shawn says

Just wondering what kind of projector you used? I was just talking about doing this kind of thing for my son’s 16th birthday.