Grilled Pizza

grilled_pizza

At the beginning of the summer, when my husband wanted a new grill I let him think it was all his idea. We graduated from a little portable-burn-your-eyebrows-off-when-you-try-to-light kind of grill to one with an electric ignite button, so-easy-a-girl-can-do-it grill. (And it is red. I love red things.)

Like I said, it was all my husband’s idea.

Grilled pizza has become a regular on our menu. My boys love it because they can pick their toppings. I love it because I don’t feel like I’m cooking (isn’t that illegal in summer?) And my husband loves it because 1. he’s being fed and 2. it uses the grill.

Making the dough::

grilled_pizza

Pizza Dough
1 cup warm water
1 TBS sugar
1 TBS yeast
2 TBS oil
2 1/2 – 3 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt

Add yeast and sugar to warm water and oil. Wait until it foams and then add the flour and salt. I use 3 cups of flour for a stiffer dough to work with. Cover and let rise until double.

Spread dough out onto a piece of parchment for easy transfer, or shape and put directly on grill

Adding the heat::

grilled_pizza+heat

Lay dough on preheated grill.

Cook for a couple of minutes until the bottom is cooked.

Turn over and add toppings to the cooked side (or take off and let the kids add their toppings and put it back on the grill).

Finish cooking the second side. If the bottom is done before the cheese melts, move the pizza to the top rack, and let the indirect heat finish the melting.

grilled_pizza_ready

bbq_grilled_pizza

This is my all time favorite, I could eat it every day. BBQ sauce in place of the marinara, shredded BBQ chicken, red onion, pineapple, cheese and cilantro. So good!

We’ve done grilled pizza’s for a crowd, letting each customize their own. Set up a pizza bar of various toppings: chicken, ham, bacon, pepperoni, sausage, zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes, pineapple, onions, peppers, olives or artichokes. And different sauces: marinara, alfredo, bbq sauce, ranch dressing and you will have something to please even the pickiest eaters!

Last week we used left over chicken cacciatore and it was delicious!

Comments

best. idea. ever. i’m so glad you put up picks and good instructions…i suck at trying new things unless it’s pretty detailed.
    i would have never figured this out (sad, i know). this looks like so much fun! i’m calling my dad and we’re doing this for dinner sunday night!

My husband orders wood-fired pizza at ANY opportunity. I bet he’d like this! The only problem is….yeast and I don’t get along. We haven’t spoken since the breadstick debacle of ’03. I’m gonna really have to suck it up to ask for her forgiveness. (I think yeast is a girl. So stinkin’ tempramental and fickle!)

• Nikkala says

You can do it! Yeast is a little intimidating, but don’t let it scare you off. The 2 tips are 1. make sure your water is warm, but not hot. and 2. wait to add the salt until you’ve added some of the flour. Hot water and salt can both kill yeast. This recipe is so simple–I know you can do it!

3. Vicki says

So we did these last night and YUMMMMM-O! The dough was super easy to make and tasted great as crust. One mention, turn the grill on high to preheat then down to low. I was taken by surprise when they cooked as quickly as they did and a few of mine got, um, browned a little bit too much :) Thanks for sharing!

• Nikkala says

Oh yeah, I normally heat the grill to 400 degrees (on high) and then turn it down (medium). Thanks for sharing the secret!

4. Paula says

I laughed when I read your “burn-your-eyebrows-off” description! I almost had that very thing happen to me several years ago, and I refuse to light the grill ever since! LOL! Your pizza looks yummy…but I’m still having my husband light the grill! :)

5. Crystal says

Is there no kneading involved? Just mix ingredients together and let rise? Thanks for the help!

I make grilled pizzas all the time and unless I missed it you left out an important step and that is to either ensure your grill grates are well oiled OR the dough itself is.

1. […] & Parties, how-to, Kids & Family, paper, Parties, Recipes and Food, Summer, tips Grilled pizza’s are one of our favorite summer meals, so it made sense that we would serve them at Gracie’s […]