Ham and Spinach Stromboli is a favorite dinner of our family. Perfect for busy nights on the go.
Ham and Spinach Stromboli
Ham and Spinach Stromboli is a great meal for busy nights. It is easy to eat on the run and it is delicious warm, cold or somewhere in between. Haul it to the ballpark, send it the next day in lunches or eat it hot at home it is good any way. Stromboli is, essentially, a rolled up pizza so my kids have no problem eating it. The secret of this meal is the spinach cream cheese that we use in place of marinara. It has a little kick of red pepper flakes to add a little interest to the ham and cheese.
I use my go to pizza dough recipe for this dish. Use the recipe and mix the dough in a bowl. Or if you’d rather, you can pick up pizza dough at Trader Joe’s or Winco. Once it is done raising, roll it out on a floured surface in a rectangle shape. It doesn’t need to be perfect so don’t stress too much.
Thaw and drain the frozen spinach. I like to wrap it in a paper towel and squeeze out any extra water. Add it to the cream cheese along with the crushed red pepper flakes and mix together with a fork. The red pepper adds a little kick to the dish without too much heat. Go ahead and adjust that to the levels of heat your family likes.
Spread the spinach mixture onto the dough with a back of a spoon and top with slice ham and provolone cheese. Roll up the dough, starting with the long side, and place seam side down on oiled pan. To save on dishes you could also use a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush egg wash on top with a pastry brush, sprinkle on poppyseeds and use a sharp knife to create slits 1″ apart on the top. Bake in the oven at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2½ – 3 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 package cream cheese, softened
- ½ block frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- slice ham
- provolone cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- Add yeast and sugar to warm water and oil. Wait until it foams and then add the flour and salt. Cover and let rise until double. While it is rising, drain and squeeze the water out of the spinach. Add spinach and red pepper flakes to taste to cream cheese. Mix.
- Roll pizza dough out on a floured surface. Spread cream cheese mixture and then top with ham and cheese. Roll and transfer to a baking sheet. Pinch ends together. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle poppyseeds on top. With a knife slit the top of the dough about 1" apart and at an angle.
- Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Let sit for 5 minutes before slicing.
Feel free to play around with the sauce and fillings you use in your stromboli. Use your favorite pizzas for inspiration. My family also likes marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese, and pepperoni inside.