I love anything with peppermint flavor. It is so refreshing.
But I didn’t stop there. I made a yummy Cream Cheese Frosting and added some more peppermint extract in that too. Oh it is so yummy.
Here's the recipe for Candy Cane Sugar Cookies
- ⅔ cup regular shortening unflavored
- ⅔ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 cups white sugar separated
- 1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup peppermint crunch sprinkles (I crushed up about 6 candy canes for some extra flavor.)
- Cream Cheese Peppermint Frosting
- ¼ cup (4 tablespoons) butter softened not melted
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened but not melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract not mint extract
- 2 and up to 2 & ½ cups powdered sugar (depending on desired consistency)
- Peppermint crunch sprinkles to top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat together the shortening, butter, and 1 and ½ cups white sugar until light and creamy.
- Mix in the egg, egg yolk, corn syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Beat in the peppermint extract to taste.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, salt and crushed candy canes. Mix until just combined.
- Drop ball shaped spoonfuls onto baking sheet. Flatten out into a disc for even cooking.
- Bake 2 inches apart on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake 9-12 minutes.
- *Its best to slightly under-baking the cookies, letting them cool most of the way
- Beat together the softened butter, softened cream cheese, vanilla, and peppermint extract.
- Beat in the powdered sugar, slowly adding about ½ a cup at a time until a smooth frosting is formed.
- You can add a little milk if needed to thin your frosting to desired consistency.
- Frost the cookies and add peppermint crunch sprinkles to the top.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
We used these Candy Cane Sugar Cookies do not disappoint. They are full of peppermint flavor and a fun little crunch from the Candy Canes. as party of our Tween Cookie Exchange Party.