These Candy Cane Sugar Cookies do not disappoint. They are full of peppermint flavor and a fun little crunch from the Candy Canes. And then there’s the Cream Cheese Peppermint Frosting. Yum.
I love anything with peppermint flavor. It is so refreshing.
Usually I combine peppermint with chocolate, but decided to try a different approach with these cookies.
I decided to make a fun sugar cookie recipe then added in the peppermint flavor, using Candy Canes and peppermint extract.
But I didn’t stop there. I made a yummy Cream Cheese Frosting and added some more peppermint extract in that too. Oh it is so yummy.
Then you of course have to sprinkle on some crushed up Candy Canes to make these look irresistible.
Here's the recipe for Candy Cane Sugar Cookies
- ⅔ cup regular shortening unflavored
- ⅔ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 cups white sugar separated
- 1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup peppermint crunch sprinkles (I crushed up about 6 candy canes for some extra flavor.)
- Cream Cheese Peppermint Frosting
- ¼ cup (4 tablespoons) butter softened not melted
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened but not melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract not mint extract
- 2 and up to 2 & ½ cups powdered sugar (depending on desired consistency)
- Peppermint crunch sprinkles to top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat together the shortening, butter, and 1 and ½ cups white sugar until light and creamy.
- Mix in the egg, egg yolk, corn syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Beat in the peppermint extract to taste.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, salt and crushed candy canes. Mix until just combined.
- Drop ball shaped spoonfuls onto baking sheet. Flatten out into a disc for even cooking.
- Bake 2 inches apart on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake 9-12 minutes.
- *Its best to slightly under-baking the cookies, letting them cool most of the way
- Beat together the softened butter, softened cream cheese, vanilla, and peppermint extract.
- Beat in the powdered sugar, slowly adding about ½ a cup at a time until a smooth frosting is formed.
- You can add a little milk if needed to thin your frosting to desired consistency.
- Frost the cookies and add peppermint crunch sprinkles to the top.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
We used these Candy Cane Sugar Cookies do not disappoint. They are full of peppermint flavor and a fun little crunch from the Candy Canes. as party of our Tween Cookie Exchange Party.
Here’s a peek at the other cookies from the party, as well as the party set up.