Rose Heart Shadow Box

I’m SO excited about this. This project is something I’ve been wanting to do for YEARS and finally decided to just do it, for crying out loud. :) I’m really happy with how it turned out, imperfections and all! These dried roses have a very special meaning to me, they are roses my hubby has given me throughout our relationship, some of them dating clear back to the early-mid 1990′s. We met when we were 14. So they are OLD. :) And I have saved them because I am sentimental like that. And I love my husband. And now my little “vintage” dried roses can be displayed prettily in our home. And I am happy about it.

It was pretty easy. I just got my basket of dried roses out and dusted them off a bit, carefully, with one of those compressed air thingies that you clean out your keyboard with.

I removed the dried leaves and trimmed the stems as far down as I could. Then I arranged them into a heart-like shape and didn’t worry if it wasn’t a perfectly symmetrical heart. :)
Out came my trusty hot glue gun–I glued the bottom of the roses onto a piece of cardstock, then I mounted it on the back of my shadow box frame. Easy.
Yay! A project over 14 years in the making. :) Happy February!
xoxoxo,
Brooke
Little Wonders (my personal bloggie)
PS: I promise I’ll post a photo/bio soon. First I need to actually find a pic with me in front of the camera instead of behind the camera! :)

Comments

Thanks ladies! Dawn, once I hot glued the flowers, they really did stay put. Even the ones where I accidentally pulled out the stem. :) These babies were really old and fragile so i wasn’t sure if they’d hold up, but so far they have. I did have several fall apart when I was sorting them, but if they did I just didn’t use them. Anyway, thanks for visiting the Crafty Chicks!

What a great job, I love it. Did you have any trouble with the buds falling apart after you hot glued them? Some of my older ones I will pick up and the spiral will just completely fall apart!

Anyways, I adore it.

I LOVE this idea. I’m gonna do this with fake flowers in my little girls room… big flowers, big frame, big ol’ colorful gerber daisy heart on her wall. Thanks!

4. Erin says

I love the Heart Shadow Box! What a wonderful idea and it allows you to keep such a beautiful gift in something that you can see daily! Great Job!

Just found this blog today. Oh, I’m in love! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS IDEA! (Now I regret not keeping all those roses from over the years!) My hubby and I met in ’97 (at Magic Mtn of all places) and I was 14 as well! I love stories like ours! <3 Keep up the fantastic craftiness…. it’s quite inspiring for a non crafty person like me!

6. Morgan says

Beautiful shadow box. I’m not yet married but I know I have my guy so I’m working on my collection! Where did you keep the roses over the years? I’ve been drying some of mine out and they smell terrible right now so I’m not sure where to keep them :[ Were they in an airtight place, back of closet? Any pointers for me? :]

7. Cheyenne says

How did you dry out your flowers?? Am wanting to do this with yellow roses my boyfriend gave me but am not sure the best way to go about drying them out!

8. Cheyenne says

I tied a piece of string around the bunch and hung them upside down to dry. That helps to keep the nice shape of the the flower. I’ve heard you can also spray them with hairspray to help preserve them? Good luck!

9. Heather says

How long ago did you make this and are the flowers still hanging on to the glue? I would love to do this with my wedding bouquet but I don’t want it to fall apart in a year or however long… I’m wondering if you put a piece of that green “flower foam” (I can’t remember what that’s called and then put hot glue on the stems and pushed it into the foam if that would help it to hold longer… very beautiful idea though, thank you for sharing!

Thanks Heather! I made this over 2 1/2 years ago and it is still going strong! I haven’t had any problems whatsoever with any flowers falling off or anything, it still looks great! I’ve been super happy with it. But that green flower foam is also a great idea!

10. Marni says

I’ve been ‘drying’ my flowers for almost five months now because I just don’t know what to do with them. Thank you so much for this amazing idea and saving me from tossing it into the trash can!

11. Tony says

My girlfriend does the same thig saves one rose from every bunch i give her . what i do is take the one she saves and after it dries i dip it in a clear polyurthane or even the yellow if thats what you have and set it up to dry and do it one more time realy preserves the rose ..we have them in a curio but thanks for posting this because another brilliant idea and i can be romantic and surprise her with a shadow box heart of these roses …another thing they dont fall apart easy after dipped either. if you see your pedals drouping put up side down with close pin…..peace

12. haley russell says

My friend is sending me flowers and i was wondering how you dried out your flowers so i czn make one of these!?

13. Nicole says

Once you hung them to dry…then what did you do with them for all those years to keep them so perfect?!? I have some hanging but don’t know what to do now before the box :)

14. Jessie says

This is aMaZiNg!! I have so many bouquets of roses that I’ve been holding onto but am running out of room! My next purchase: a shadow box! Thank you for posting this; I cannot wait to get it together and display in our place!!

15. Megan says

So I have also saved many roses over the past year and I couldn’t figure out what to do with them. When I saw this I definatly wanted to try it but I was wondering how do you cut the stem of the rose close enough to the actual flower so that they are easy enough to glue on? I feel like I couldn’t cut the stems of some of my roses as close as I would have liked. Any suggestions would be great, thanks for the idea!:)

Wow. This is such a great idea. I have my wedding bouquet sitting in my bedroom from 8 years ago. This is perfect! Thanks for the inspiration.

~ Sarah

17. Ana says

Love it!!! I want to do it to with my wedding bouquet. Do you have by any chance the measurements of the box? Thank you!

18. Mena says

Wow, it is amazing to see someone did the same project as me (two years ago)! I did my rose heart with the rainbow roses my boyfriend gave me last week(I looooove it!).
    I love your pure red heart too! Do you mind telling me how deep is your shadow box inside? I really had a hard time finding the right shadow box. Thx a lot!