Yes….my last babe to potty train…
Check out our Fresh Living TV Segment (under crafting chicks) that Brooke and I did YESTERDAY on incentive charts to motivate the kids! This segment gives a few more details I think you will enjoy.
Here’s a simple potty chart that my little one will use as we do the dreaded potty training. Each time she goes potty, she gets to put a sticker on the chart. When she fills up the chart, depending on how long that takes….she will get to pick a special toy from THE TREASURE BOX.
SIMPLE TIPS FOR POTTY TRAINING IN A NUTSHELL, or at least we hope it works….right :)! Since it’s my 4th child, you would hope that I have learned a few things :). These methods come from the ever-so-popular potty training book called, “Potty Training in a Day.” I haven’t used this exact method with my other three, but I can already tell it’s going to be a more successful approach. HOW TO (every child is different….YES….but I’m tellin’ ya, this is a great and positive approach):
- set THE WHOLE DAY aside for this….no other distractions…this is serious business
- we will be waking up and giving her salty treats to make her thirsty
- purchase all her favorite drinks and let her drink them so she can go potty MANY times and get a lot of practice in a short period of time
- in the meantime…I will teach her doll to go potty (with her in the bathroom watching), flush, wash hands, the whole nine yards…the doll will go 3 times
- this may sound gross…but make it look like the doll is peeing…syringe of water works well for this
- let the doll have a “pretend” accident and say “how sad” or “she didn’t listen to her body, I bet she’ll make it next time.” (or something like this)
- then I will let HER teach the doll to go 3 times
- THEN….by now she will know the basics. At this point, SHE gets to try to go.
- Continue to give her fluids as she wants them and take her every 5 minutes…the whole day.
- She will have it down in no time
- expect to have your patience tried….and tried
- later in the day, slow down the fluid intake and spread out the times further and you see necessary
- since she is almost 3, we will night train her at the same time
- for this I will give less fluids at night and go into her room in the night and take her once or twice, eventually they should be able to wake on their own
If you are potty training….good luck! What are your tried and true methods???
See also these: