This post contains affiliate links.
Hi there! Lydi here from Lydi Out Loud and I’m so excited to share my most recent craft project with you today! By raise of hand, where are my fellow washi tape lovers? Ok even though I can’t see your hands, I know you’re out there! I’m not sure at which point washi tape lover transitions to washi tape hoarder but I’m pretty sure I’m toeing that line. Part of the problem is I sometimes forget how much I have that I’ve never even used… most of it lives in a drawer in my desk with other rolls randomly scattered around my craft room. I decided that I needed some kind of washi tape holder.
Since I couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for so I decided to DIY it. I got a scrap wood block and dowel rods at Home Depot and got to it. Here’s how you can make one too:
DIY Washi Tape Holder
- Scrap wood block – 2″ x 5″ x 1½” deep
- ¾” Dowel rod – 1 cut to 4½” and the other to 6″
- Wood balls (I used doll heads from Michael’s)
- Americana Decor Metallics in 24K Gold
- Americana Acrylic paints in Teal Mint and Snow (Titanium) White
- Painters tape
- Foam paint brush
- Craft adhesive
- Sand any rough patches on the wood block and dowel rods, if necessary.
- Paint the wood block, 1 of the dowel rods and the wood balls with 2 coats of gold paint.
- Once the gold paint has dried, place blue painters tape diagonally across the wood block.
- Paint the larger triangle and other dowel rod with 2 coats of aqua paint (or any color of your choice) and gently peel back the painters tape. I mixed the Snow (Titanium) White with my favorite Teal Mint to lighten it up a bit to go with my other office accessories.*My favorite trick to paint dowel rods – stick 1 end into a bottle to hold it.
- Glue the wood balls onto the dowel rods and once glue has set, glue the dowel rods onto the wood block.
- Load up your washi tape holder!
Now that I can actually see my washi tape, I’m inspired to use it! What are some of your favorite washi tape crafts?
[…] tape is too pretty to sit in a drawer! This simple DIY on The Crafting Chicks keeps washi organized and looks cute doing […]