My husband swears these are his favorite brownies…but what he doesn’t realize is that it’s the frosting that he really loves! I seriously make these just for the frosting. I mean the brownies are okay, but it’s the frosting that makes them good.
But first, the brownies.
Do you have some zucchini laying around? If not I bet your neighbor does. It’s that time of year. We’ll need 2 cups grated, which I can get from a small-medium sized zuke. You can peel the skin off if it bothers you, but we don’t even notice it ones we’ve added it to the chocolate.
Add the dry ingredients, flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and cocoa to the bowl and mix together.
Then add in the wet ingredients. Oil, zucchini, and vanilla. I’m not going to say these are healthy, BUT I have noticed that they use 1/4 the amount of oil that my zucchini bread recipe does and they have no eggs. So not healthy, but not as bad as other recipes out there.
Mix together. If the batter seems a little dry let it set for a few minutes, the zucchini will start to release water and it will be good. Pour into a sprayed 9×13″ pan and bake.
- 2 c. flour
- 3 TBSP cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1¼ c. sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 c. shredded zucchini
- ½ c. oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Mix dry ingredients, then add the wet ingredients. Stir until well mixed.
- Spread in a greased 9x13" pan.
- Bake at 350º for 25 minutes.
- Frost with Milk Chocolate Frosting Recipe
While the brownies are in the oven you can work on the frosting. The frosting is cooked and you add it to the brownies while they and the frosting are warm. No waiting for things to cool around here!
This is the best chocolate frosting, I don’t know if it’s just because it’s cooked or if it is the evaporated milk that makes it taste so good. But it does. Like Christmas fudge good.
To start, melt butter and cocoa powder in a sauce pan. Once the butter is melted remove the pan from heat and mix in powdered sugar, evaporated milk and vanilla. Beat until it’s the right consistency. You’ll alternate adding the milk and powdered sugar, just remember we’re going for milk chocolate so you’ll want to add enough sugar to get it there.
Once the brownies come out of the oven pour frosting on top and spread. I only use half of the frosting on the pan of brownies, but save the rest in the fridge for our next pan. Or graham crackers. It is super good on graham crackers.
- 1 cube butter
- 2 rounding TBSP cocoa powder
- Evaporated Milk
- 1 (2 lb) pkg. powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Melt butter in saucepan. Add cocoa; stir and bring to a boil.
- Promptly remove from heat. While hot add 2 cups powdered sugar and 2 TBSP evaporated milk. Beat with mixer until smooth. Continue adding powdered sugar and milk ( a TBSP at a time) until powdered sugar package is used and the frosting is the right consistency to spread on cake or brownies. Add the vanilla and beat until smooth.
Serve with a scoop of vanilla icecream and watch your kids eat up the green vegetable they won’t touch on their dinner plate! My kids are fully aware that there is zucchini in here, but it’s so good they don’t care.
You may also like:Pin It