Mini Pretzel Dogs
For the Superbowl last year I let each of my kids make something. My oldest really wanted pretzel dogs, I was a little hesitant because it seemed like a lofty food for a day we just wanted to kick back and watch TV. But he is persistant and didn’t give up. We were all glad he insisted because his Mini Pretzel Dogs ended up being the hit of the party. We used Real Life Dinner’s Pretzel Wrapped Lit’l Smokies Recipe which uses Martha Stewart’s Pretzel Recipe.
First, you’ll need to start with a pretzel dough. If making dough isn’t your thing you can use store bought pizza dough, but the dough is really simple to make. After the dough has risen, roll it into a snake, like you would with play dough and pinch into about 6″ long pieces. Wrap the dough around Lil’ Smokies and set on a greased pan.
Once your dogs have been wrapped and the water is boiling, drop them in the boiling water and cook for a minute. Remove from the water with a slotted spoon and return them back to the pan.
After they have been boiled, brush with an egg wash and sprinkle with kosher salt.
Bake at 450 for 12-15 minutes.
You may want to employee helpers to roll the dough into snakes for you, it will help speed up the process.
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 5-6 cups flour
- 2 packages all beef Lil'Smokies
- Coarse Salt
- 2 Tbsp baking soda
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 Tbsp water
- Combine water, sugar and yeast in mixer.
- Add 5 cups of flour and salt. Mix
- Let mix on medium low for 1½ minutes.
- Add a little more flour if the dough is sticking to the sides.
- Cover and let rise until dough has doubles.
- When dough has risen, preheat oven to 450 degrees and fill a large pot with 2 inches of water and 2 Tbs of baking soda.
- Spray two cookies sheets and begin wrapping the Lil'Smokies with the dough. Set on cookie sheet.
- When you have finished wrapping half of them, place approx 12-14 in the boiling water for 1 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and return to cookie sheet. Repeat until all pretzel dogs on the sheet have been boiled.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle lightly with coarse salt.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
- Prep the remaining dogs and have them ready to go when the first pan comes out of the oven.
- Serve with BBQ sauce or spicy brown mustard.
Serve with BBQ sauce or brown spicy mustard.
For more Superbowl recipes check out our Game Day Meatballs