Personalized Photo Jewelry

Sorry I’m a little bit tardy on my post today! My computer was having a small tantrum, I have an eye infection and my spectacles make me dizzy, and on top of that, it is SNOWING at my house today! What a lovely Monday morning. :)

Lately I’ve been having fun making some personalized photo jewelry. I love personalized stuff! There are so many great tutorials out there and awesome supplies for the DIY-ers. While this isn’t really a super detailed step-by-step tutorial, I thought I’d share a few cute things I’ve made recently with some simple instructions. :)

A glass tile family photo pendant
A bracelet with faces of my loves. :)
I love using photos for different projects. I made the bracelets for my mom and mother-in-law (and myself!) for Mother’s Day, with photos of their grandchildren. :) They were a big hit!
Supplies needed:
**  Your favorite brand of “diamond glaze” (I got mine on Etsy called “Sun and Moon Scrabble and Glass Glaze”)
**  E-6000 or other super strong adhesive
** a glass tile of any shape or size (I ordered mine from Sun and Moon Craft Kits on Etsy, it’s the rectangular size glass tile)
** silver bails (silver “hooks” to allow you to put your pendant on a chain–also available in craft stores or in abundance on Etsy!!)

Decide what photo you want to put on your glass tile. I measured my glass tile and in Photoshop cropped my photo to the correct size. I printed on luster photo paper at Costco. If you print from your home printer, make sure you spray your photo with some sort of sealant so that the color won’t bleed when you put the adhesive on it.

Spread a thin, even layer of the GLASS GLAZE on the glass tile, then place your photo “face down” onto the glaze. Position it where you want it and smooth it out, making sure to get rid of any air bubbles. Then spread another thin layer of glass glaze on the back of the photo.

When dry, put a small amount of E-6000 on the silver bail, then attach to the back of the photo tile. Let dry for 24 hours. Then you can put it on a chain and it’s done!!
I’ve made lots of these pendants, with different photos, cute scrapbook paper, initials, you name it. One of my favorite necklaces I’ve made is of the Salt Lake Temple, with me and my husband’s initials. :) These make awesome gifts too.
For the photo bracelet, I got an “empty” bracelet at Hobby Lobby (we just got a brand new store close to my home and it’s glorious!).
I measured the little squares (they were like .625 inches) and cropped my little photos in Photoshop. Printed them at Costco again. Then I put a thin layer of the GLASS GLAZE (used on the pendants) on the back of the little photos and place them into the bracelet.
Once placed in the squares on the bracelet, I squeezed the glass glaze to completely cover each photo, being careful to get rid of any air bubbles. I used a toothpick to pop any that showed up. The glaze will be cloudy until it dries completely. Make sure your bracelet is on a flat surface to ensure even distribution of the glaze. (apologies for not-so-great photos)
Let it dry for 24 hours before wearing. And there you have it!
I wore mine to church on Mother’s Day and got lots of compliments on it! I had to chuckle when they asked if my husband got it for me for Mother’s Day–I said I made it for myself as a gift. :) I love it!
Linked at these parties:

Comments

1. ellie g says

Thanks so much for pointing me where to find that liquid glass stuff. I had no idea.

And I just had a Hobby Lobby open up right up the street from me. It is now lovingly referred to as the “Devil’s House” around here. My poor bank account! An isle of Pom Poms? Really? Delightful.

2. ** Adrian ** says

I found your blog through my sister, Brooke’s– (All Things Thrifty, Brooke!) You have the cutest ideas!!! Thanks for being so willing to share them! I have always wanted to know how to make these. They are DARLING! ;D

3. marissa says

this might be a weird question but how do you print the cropped pictures at costco? do you put them all on one picture or something else. I feel like I’ve had them stretch photos before. I hope my question makes sense

4. Brooke says

Everyone, thanks for your sweet comments!

Ellie G, you crack me up! Hobby Lobby= Devil’s House? LOL! And probably true. :) I have to force myself to stay away from that place.

Adrian, how fun that you’re Brooke’s sister! I love Brooke. She married one of my best friends, Dan. She’s amazing! :)

Marissa–I drag all of the little cropped photos onto another “print size” photo–for the little bracelet photos I fit like 25 little pictures onto one 4×6 and had room to spare. That way, the photos won’t get stretched to fit the standard photo print sizes. Hope that answered your question! It was a great question.

5. hopeE says

I love this idea. I’ve done this before but I’m looking for a better glaze. What type (brand) of glass glaze did you use?

6. Lorrie Everitt Studio says

great posting … I’ve been looking for some jewellery suppliers and so happy that you shared your etsy connection. I’ve ordered a bunch of stuff and can’t wait to make these myself!

7. Nikkala says

Brooke, I massed produced these necklaces today as birthday gifts for the R.S. to give the sisters in our ward. So easy! So cute!

8. Tori Easton says

I love your ideas. I tired to go to Esty and find the Sun and Moon Crafts but nothing came up. Do you have a direct link that I could use?

9. Shannon says

Is it possible to use mod podge on the pictures to adhere them to the tiles? It dries clear, so do you think it would work?

• Brooke says

Shannon, that would probably work as well, it just wouldn’t have the 3-D “glass bubble” effect that the glaze has. Although, you could use the Dimensional Mod Podge, that would create a similar effect.

10. Linetta says

I LOVE this tutorial! I’ve been on etsy purchasing my supplies. I have one question…how do you apply the glaze? With a brush? With your fingers??

• Brooke says

For the first project (glass tiles) I think I just put a small dot of the glaze onto the surface and used my fingers to cover the surface. I have also used a small foam brush and that has worked too. For the bracelet I just carefully squeezed the glaze into the jewelry “container” and shook it carefully to distribute it. Good luck and have fun making your jewelry! :)

11. Linetta says

Ok…so I’m trying to prepare my photos to print. I have photoshop and would like to drag all of them onto a print size sheet like you told someone in an earlier post. I just can’t figure out how to do it! I’m fairly new to photoshop. I understand how to crop down to the size I need. I just need help putting it on a print sheet. Could you explain how to do that or tell me where to go that would explain it? Thanks again!

12. Kelly says

I so want to make a bracelet but we don’t have hobby lobby in the uk. Do these bracelets have a particular name to try and search for them under so that I can google them to find out where to get them from?

13. http://www.zoe2012.com/ says

When I initially commented I appear to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now
    on every time a comment is added I recieve four emails with the exact same comment.
    Perhaps there is a way you can remove me
    from that service? Thank you!

14. Donna says

Help! I bought my supplies, but now I too and having problems with the printing. I was able to edit my pictures to the size you suggested, but how do you get them all on one sheet so they aren’t printed as a 4×6?? I was trying to make this for a friends birthday who is this Thursday. Please help :)

15. Sonia says

Brooke, I am trying to do something similar with a different product (Craft Fantastic). Since I’ve been having problems with the photos fogging after I put them under the glass, I decided that printing them somewhere different (other than home), would help. I was interested in hearing your Costco solution. But I just tried to bring them in and do what you described and was told they don’t do that. Could you please elaborate on how you loaded your cropped photos onto a 4x 6 photo size? Thanks