Chocolate and peppermint are the ultimate flavor combo for Christmas. Throw them together on a perfectly chewy and chocolatey cookie and you’ve got yourself the perfect holiday dessert! Chocolate Cookies with Peppermint Buttercream Frosting are great for neighbor treat plates.
I’m one who loves all treats, but there’s something extra special and fun about Christmas treats. For some reason Christmas M&M’s taste way better than the original ones. Those bright holiday colors just get to me. I especially love attending Christmas parties and gazing at the dessert table. Green, red, and white never looked so good! Chocolate Cookies with Peppermint Buttercream Frosting are so perfect for all things Christmas. Neighbor plates, something for Santa, a party treat… The crushed up candy canes on top just scream Christmas.
You get four delicious layers with these cookies: a chewy cookie, chocolate ganache, peppermint buttercream frosting, then crushed up candy canes. I love all the different textures together. I won’t even judge you if you decide to keep all of these cookies to yourself! They’re kind of awesome.
- 1 chocolate cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 6 Tbsp butter, melted and cooled
- 1¼ c. semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1 c. butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 tsp. peppermint extract
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 2½ c. powdered sugar
- 5-6 peppermint candy canes, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- In a medium bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, and melted butter with a wooden spoon. Use a cookie scoop to form 1-inch balls; bake 9-11 minutes.
- Prepare ganache by placing heavy cream in a sauce pan and chocolate chips in a glass bowl. Bring heavy cream to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to avoid scalding, and pour over chocolate chips. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Whisk chocolate and cream together till nice and smooth. Dip the tops of each cookie in the ganache. Set aside to allow ganache to cool and set.
- Prepare peppermint buttercream frosting by placing butter in a medium bowl and mixing with an electric hand mixer till smooth. Add peppermint extract and 2 Tbsp milk; mix again.
- Add powdered sugar ½ c. at a time, mixing after each ½ cup. Add the final tablespoon of milk and mix until smooth.
- Frost each cookie and top with desired amount of crushed up candy cane. Serve and enjoy!
These cookies are Christmas in the form of a cookie. So yummy, festive, and fun! I hope you love them as much as I do.