Hey everyone! I’m Steph from Crafting in the Rain and I’m excited to be back for the summer series again. On my blog I share mostly craft and DIY ideas, with the occasional life or recipe post thrown in. (I do love that Instant Pot cheesecake!) I recently watched The Woman in Gold – have you seen it? It’s the story of an Austrian-American trying to get a painting of her aunt back from Austria. It had been stolen from her family by the Nazis, just prior to World War 2. I thought it the movie was fascinating, and I loved the use of all the gold in the painting.
I thought it would be fun to try some of the same look on a simple picture frame. This turns into an easy kid craft too by just providing lots of different shades of gold paint and even some gold foil.
You’ve got a lot of flexibility when it comes to playing with this style, but I’ll give you the rundown of how I did mine so you can your kids can create something similar.
1. Paint the whole frame with a layer of gold.
2. Use a foam stencil brush to add another shade of gold, dabbing the paint on. Use a toothpick to drag some lines through the paint. Let these layers dry.
3. Use a glue pen to draw some splotches around the frame, let dry to tacky and apply gold foil.
4. Use a third shade of gold to paint some small rectangle and circle shapes on the frame. Let dry.
5. Add more paint layers if you like, let dry, and add a picture or quote.
I hope you have fun playing with gold paint – whether it’s on a frame or something else, you and your kids will love the end result.
If you’re looking for a couple more fun kid activities, try these homemade balloon boppers or make custom stickers with a Cricut. And I’d always love for you to come find me on Instagram. Thanks for reading!
Check out more Art fun!
For the other Famous Artist projects check this out
Leave a Reply