Cinco de Mayo just got cooler with a Fried Ice Cream Milk Shake! A creamy vanilla milk shake is topped with whipped cream, caramel and a crispy, crunchy crumble topping!
Hola friends! It’s Keri from Shaken Together and I’m back to bring a delicious sweet treat to the Chicks’ Cinco de Mayo party!
This milk shake is a twist on one of my favorite desserts from our local Mexican restaurant – fried ice cream! In the tradition version of the dessert, balls of vanilla ice cream are rolled in a crunchy coating of cornflakes, cookie crumbs or something similar and then quickly deep fried. That crispy coating is a crunchy contrast to the creamy ice cream inside and it is delicious!
Believe it or not, I found a way to forget the fryer but still get the amazing combination of creamy ice cream and crispy coating!
It all starts with this pan of crispy, crunchy crumble topping!
I combined graham cracker crumbs, corn flakes, melted butter and brown sugar – could this get any better?! I patted the mixture together into a free form crust of sorts and popped it in the oven for about 12 or 13 minutes. Once it cooled, I broke it apart into pieces, like I do with my favorite homemade granola.
Once the crumble was cooled, I was ready to make the shakes. First, I drizzled a little caramel sauce on the inside of the glasses. I used squeezable caramel from our fridge and it was super easy to just gently squeeze the caramel in as I rotated the glass.
Then, I filled each glass with a classic vanilla milk shake and topped it with whipped cream. For each shake, I used 8 oz. of milk and 3 large scoops of ice cream. This makes the shake thick and creamy – YUM!
I might have added a little more caramel drizzle on the top of the whipped cream before I crowned each shake with a generous handful of that glorious crumble topping.
I mean … guys! This is fried ice cream + a milk shake! Two glorious desserts in one with a Cinco de Mayo twist!
- ¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
- ¾ cup crushed corn flakes (crush corn flakes then measure to ¾ cup)
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 8 oz. cold milk
- 3 scoops vanilla ice cream
- Whipped cream
- Squeezable caramel
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, stir together graham cracker crumbs, crushed corn flakes, melted butter and brown sugar.
- Pat into an even single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 - 14 minutes.
- Allow to cool and break into small pieces.
- Drizzle caramel inside the glasses.
- Blend milk and ice cream and fill each glass.
- Top with whipped cream.
- Drizzle with caramel.
- Add a generous handful of Fried Ice Cream Crumble Topping and enjoy!
- (The extra crumble topping is delicious on ice cream, yogurt and fruit.)
This would be the perfect end to a big blow out Cinco de Mayo dinner! In our house, we may start with guacamole or these cheesy baked black beans and rice, load tacos with this slow cooker shredded chicken, and finish with a Fried Ice Cream Milk Shake. What does your family do for Cinco de Mayo?
Thanks for hanging out with me! I love stopping by each month and I would love to see you over at Shaken Together!