This post may contain affiliate links.
What party is complete without a build-your-own type bar? None I say! Fiesta goers will love filling their own “tacos” using a Choco Taco Bar.
These Choco Taco shells are made adapting the traditional Italian Pizzelle into a dessert taco shell…so if you are traditional Italian or Mexican I’ll just go ahead and apologize right now for the disgrace I’m about to bring your traditions. But they are so good that you may be able to forgive me…I hope? Plus there are sprinkles involved. Who can be mad at sprinkles?
How to Make Your Own Choco Tacos Shells
The key to making your own Choco Taco shells lies in a pizzelle iron. Pizzelle are crisp and buttery and can be used to make waffle cones. I use a Vanilla Pizzelle recipe, which you can turn to chocolate by adding cocoa powder.
I used my medium sized cookie scoop to get the right amount of dough on the iron. They cook really fast, in less than a minute.
Typically the cookies are served flat. To create a taco shell we need to curve the cookie while it is still hot.
To get the right amount of curve, I laid the cookie over a wooden spoon handle and let it cool. In order to keep up with 2 cookies coming out at a time and the quick cooking time, I placed 2 wooden spoons over a metal bowl so I could shape both cookies at the same time.
Once the cookies have cooled, trim the edges using kitchen shears to get rid of the jagged edges. Dip edges in melted chocolate chips and add sprinkles before the chocolate sets.
Here’s our easy Choco Taco Shell recipe that you can print easily.
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ c sugar
- ⅜ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1¾ c flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- ½ c melted butter
- 1 pkg semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Beat eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla until combined.
- Stir in the flour and baking powder. Mix until smooth.
- Mix in the melted butter, stirring until smooth. The butter will be thick and soft.
- Heat Pizzelle Iron. Batter will thicken while it cools
- Cook according to direction that came with your iron.
- Remove and cool over a wooden spoon handle.
- After they have cooled trim edges with kitchen scissors
- Melt chocolate chips, add 1 tsp shortening if you need it thinner.
- Dip edges of shells in chocolate, sprinkle with sprinkles.
- To make chocolate batter, add ¼ c cocoa powder