Soft Lemon Sugar Cookies – easy to make with simple baking ingredients. These cookies have just the right amount of lemon flavor and taste amazing!
Hello there! It’s me again, Katie from The Casual Craftlete blog. Today, I am here sharing the best ever recipe for Soft Lemon Sugar Cookies. Seriously, these cookies are so yummy and super easy to make. The cookie dough is made ahead of time and is put in the refrigerator to stiffen, making it easy to prepare for baking. These sugar cookies have just the right amount of lemon. With summer almost here, the warmer weather has me craving refreshing citrus and these cookies are perfect for you lemon lovers.
This soft lemon sugar cookie dough is made ahead of time. I like to make it the night before and let it chill in the fridge overnight. You could also allow 2 to 4 hours to chill, but I prefer overnight. The dough is made with softened butter, granulated sugar, 1 egg, vanilla extract, baking soda, salt, all-purpose flour, zest and juice from one lemon. Most if not all of those ingredients you probably already have a home. I know those ingredients are a staple in my fridge and pantry.
After the sugar cookie dough has had time to chill, use a medium size cookie scoop to form dough balls. Roll the dough balls in granulated sugar that has grated lemon zest from 1 lemon. Then transfer to dough into lined baking sheets. You can use parchment paper or silicone pads. The cookies come off the baking trays pretty easy.
Bake the cookies in a preheated 350 F degree oven for 12-14 minutes. Let the cookies rest on the baking trays for 5 minutes before transferring to cool racks to cool completely. You can see the beautiful flecks of lemon zest in the cookies. I’m not lying when I say this Soft Lemon Sugar Cookies are amazing!
- 1¼ cup granulated sugar, divided
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- zest of 2 lemons, divided
- Freshly squeezed juice from 1 lemon
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large stand mixer or bowl, cream butter and 1 cup granulated sugar together. Beat on high until light and fluffy. Mix in zest from 1 lemon, lemon juice, egg, and vanilla extract. Turn the mixer to low and gradually add baking soda, salt, and flour. Continue mixing until well combined. Transfer dough to a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone baking mat.
- Use a medium cookie scoop to portion dough. Shape each scooped dough into balls. Roll balls into ¼ cup granulated mixed with zest for 1 lemon. Space dough balls apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes. Allow cookies to rest on baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool. Store cookies in an airtight container.
Thank you for letting me share my Soft Lemon Sugar Cookies with you! I really hope you give this recipe a try.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
The Best Soft Sugar Cookie + Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe from It’s Always Autumn